Free and legal microsoft windows xp or 7 emulator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
Are there any Free and legal microsoft windows xp or 7 emulators? I wanna run Americas Army 2.8.5 on my mac but do not have bootcamp (well an installation cd for windows) and dont have parallels anymore.
Thanks for the help nicecrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Best ones IMO are VMWare and Parallels, they cost a bit but if you need / really want it then it's a good purchase. With any software to run Windows you need to have a legally purchased copy of Windows to install onto the software that runs it.

- Simon

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
Ok, thanks. I had parallels it ran xp but whenever i downloaded a game demo, even if i met the requirements it would not load...any reason why?
thanks
nicecrew

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Neither Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox are suitable for running graphic demanding games. Only a true install of Windows using the Boot Camp assistant is sufficient for running those types of games. You need to buy a legal copy of Windows. The Windows 7 Home Edition upgrade works fine and can be purchased for around $95 to $100. (OEM system builders)

NewEgg

Reaction score
To answer the OPs question about "why," it's because those three programs, when they create a "virtual machine" to run Windows, they also create a "virtual graphics adapter" -- and you don't get access to your graphics hardware directly. In Bootcamp, you do. That's why for demanding games and certain other video-intensive programs, Boot Camp installations work better.

For most applications (surfing, office productivity, etc.) the virtual machines are essentially indistinguishable from Boot Camp.

One note: VirtualBox is free, whereas Fusion and Parallels are not (although they each have 30 day free trials). You will need to buy Windows, however, as chscag indicates, the system builder OEM versions are usually the cheapest.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.