Securing Mac for Visitors

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I apologize if there is a post out there with this info but I did search. I have family coming in from out of town, and the kids will be on my computer. The last time they were, one of the kids downloaded and installed all kinds of crap on pc and it took hours to clean it up. Had the Mac for about 1 yr and looking for a way to create a very restricted account that can't download or install. Searched web and not looking promising. Even if you can recommend third party software that can accomplish this....would be great.

Thanks,

Alex

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi OSXX:

Thank you yes...first thing I read and tried it but it does not stop people from being able to download/install programs. Unfortunately, it's what I'm going with (activating guest account) unless I can find something out there. There likely isn't anything native in Mac but I'm sure there must be third party apps for this.

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The guest account can be controlled with parental controls, so it should do what you ask.

Yes - guests can download files, but they should not have admin provides, unless of course your admin account is not password protected, in which case any kid will easily bypass the accounts security. Any files they download are deleted at the end of the session, so they may need a usb stick if they want to keep hold of anything.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
As has been pointed out - the guest account will do everything you're looking for. I use it myself to allow family or babysitters to have internet access. Don't go overboard on the parental controls or they won't even be able to check their e-mail. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can also use parental controls on the guest account to further restrict what it can do.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...guest account it is.

Have a great weekend,

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Even better - remove the drive and tell 'em it is busted!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.