MacBook Pro 15"

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro, serial #W8828CP0YJX. It's a couple years old, and I got it from a friend.

Whenever my computer dies, it will shut off and not turn back on immediately, even when I plug it into the power cord. It kinda turns back on whenever it wants too, and will just randomly boot back up. I'll push the power button, and there will be no response at all, then about 10 minutes later it will pop up and turn back on. So basically, if the computer dies, I have to plug it into the charger, let it sit for like ten minutes, then it comes back on!

This is very frustrating, because it always seems to happen at the most inconvenient times! Does anyone have any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you leave it plugged into an AC outlet using the MagSafe charger unit, does it turn on normally or still take 10 minutes?

From the symptom you described, it could be a failing battery, or the MagSafe adapter charger.

OP
B
Reaction score
Even if it's plugged into my MagSafe charger, it still won't turn back on for at least ten minutes. The light on the charger turns red so I know it is connected and receiving power/is charging, but its almost like it has to charge up to even boot up. Obviously, it should start as soon as I have it plugged into the wall, correct?

Also, even if I have the battery off and start it up from just the charger, it does the same thing. So would that rule out it being the battery?

OP
B
Reaction score
I did just look at my System Info-Power, and it says I have a cycle count of 186, and under condition, I need to "check battery." Haha I guess that could be the problem then?:Cool:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does appear the battery may be failing but first try this: Remove the battery entirely from the machine. Close up the cover first and then plug the machine in using the MagSafe charger adapter. Does it now startup immediately or is it still taking 10 minutes?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.