Macbook Pro A1150 stuck at grey apple

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

My Macbook Pro has recently decided to get stuck at the grey loading screen with the apple logo in the center. I have read quite a bit about this online and this is what i've tried...

Resetting the SMC
Resetting the PRAM
It will not boot into Safe Mode
It will not boot from the DVD
I tried putting in a different hard drive.
I tried disconnecting the hard drive and booting straight from the DVD, still hangs at the gray screen
I tried disconnecting the PRAM battery, still hangs at the gray screen.
I tried running it only on battery power.
I tried running it only on the plug in power.

I have tried pretty much anything. I went to the genius bar and they told me it was most likely the hard drive, but my tests say differently.

Any idea?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds more like a dead or failed logic board. With all the tests you performed, there's not anything else that I can think of which would display the symptoms you stated.

Your machine is probably no longer under warranty so you might want to think about either getting a new one or try a third party Apple authorized repair such as iResQ. Give them a call on their 800 line.

OP
S
Reaction score
When I went to the genius bar they "tested" the hardware. The fact that everything came out clean made the "genius" think it was the hard drive. Would that test have told me if it was the logic board?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Would that test have told me if it was the logic board?

Yes, it should have if in fact they did a complete diagnosis. But frankly, I don't think it's the hard drive either after all the testing you did.

OP
S
Reaction score
I know that my battery is garbage but out should stay up fine with only the power adapter right? Out worked fine but it died and I left it unused and unplugged for like a week. Now it hangs at the gray screen. From what I read it sounds like a PRAM issue but booting with that disconnected should have proved that.....I think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.