iMac and Airport

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have 3 Windows PCs on my wireless network (sharing printers + broadband), using a 3com adsl broadband modem/router.

I am considering buying an iMac (17") and I understand they all come with Airport. Will it be able to connect to my current network as is, or not? If not, what do I need to buy?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It will connect... Plug it in... turn it on... and it will "see" and connect to the wireless network.

The only thing you'll need to to is enter your networks password (if your network is password protected).

I was amazed at the simplicity of it when I set mine up.

OP
D
Reaction score
RIDE said:
It will connect... Plug it in... turn it on... and it will "see" and connect to the wireless network.

The only thing you'll need to to is enter your networks password (if your network is password protected).

I was amazed at the simplicity of it when I set mine up.

That's what I thought, but I saw on the Apple site that it said something about needing an airport express router?

Sure it can connect to any old 802.11g router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Yessir, You will not have any problems connecting to g router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
dbonyad said:
That's what I thought, but I saw on the Apple site that it said something about needing an airport express router?

Sure it can connect to any old 802.11g router?

As Johnnyfive said... Yes... your 802.11g will work perfectly. My network is on a Netgear(g), and was previously on a Linksys(b).

Apple is just refering to their own brand of router.

It wouldn't make much sense for Apple to say "works seemlessly with <insert competitve brand here> routers".

Since you mentioned the Airport Express... They are awesome. I have one set-up to print wirelessly, and another set-up to listen to my iTunes wirelessly over the speakers built into the ceiling of my home. They're GREAT!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.