Connecting Mid 2009 Macbook Pro to HDTV

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know these questions probably come up a lot, but I want to be sure. So, I'm wondering what I would need to connect my Macbook Pro (mid 09) to my 42'' LCD Philips HDTV, with sound capabilities. My HDTV has 4 HDMI slots. I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.3 on my Mac. Also, I run sound through a receiver for my sound system, not through the TV itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info, let me know. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
A MiniDisplay port to HDMI converter is necessary. I know that there are pricey options that are probably of higher quality available, like this one from Moshi for $35. If you are willing to cheep out, then one of these should work fine. My friend got me one for my cake day a while ago, and it works fine for me to connect to any TV that I need to. I simply set my video and audio out options in System Preferences.

As for dealing with the audio in your particular case, I am not sure. Either selecting the audio-out from system preferences to be the TV might do the trick, or you may need to connect your sound system to your Mac directly somehow. I think that someone else can help you with that part of the question better than I can. Either way though, you'll need a MiniDisplay->HDMI converter. Since you have to buy one of those anyways, you may as well just try what I have suggested for audio and see if sound comes out of your system.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Sure, no problem! Hopefully someone comes along and provides a bit more of a concrete answer when dealing with your sound system, but I know that for me and my TV (with a sound system as well) that the audio works fine.

EDIT: Actually, my mistake! I overlooked the fact that a 2009 model for the MBP does not support audio out through the MiniDisplay port. You'll need something along these lines instead (~$50). Or you can read through this Apple Community Support thread, as it discusses similar desires of hooking up an MBP with audio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.