Disabling safe sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I was getting annoyed at how long my macbook took too long to sleep. I'd close the lid and a minute or 2 later the sleep light would finally start blinking.

This can be particularly annoying when you need to put up your laptop quickly and go (i.e switching classes) So i found this website that disables safe sleep.

The short summary is this: when safe sleep is enabled it writes everything that it has stored in RAM onto the hard drive just in case your battery dies. Thus, allowing you to pick up where you left off since it is stored on the HD. Personally, I never let my battery die unless I'm recalibrating it anyways so it isn't a big concern for me.

Depending on how much RAM you have this can take up to 1-2 minutes. I know it doesn't seem like much but when your in a rush it's a pain to sit and wait for it to go into sleep mode.

Now when I close my laptop it instantly goes to sleep and I can be on the go.

It also saves me 6 GB of hard drive space since I have 4GB of RAM in my macbook. The link below breaks down the numbers better.

For more info on how to disable safe sleep check out this link:

http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/12/06/how-to-quickly-sleep-your-macbook

Hope someone finds this helpful.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks, great tip. I bookmarked the MacWorld article just in case I want to go back to hibernate mode 3.

Regards.

Reaction score
for what it's worth, I've had safe sleep disabled on my MacBook for almost 2 years now, and nothing has gone wrong. It's great to have quick sleeps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.6GHZ, 8Gig iPhone, 160Gig iPod Classic, 16Gig 3G iPhone Black
Excellent link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.