Ownership and Permission on networ files.

Reaction score
Ownership and Permission on network files.

Hi. Just had a nightmare scenario where a whole batch of files got deleted from a Windows folder networked to a Mac.

I was wondering, what is the best way of preventing my Mac from being able to delete files on a folder in the Network? I tried changing the Ownership and Permissions and although it allows me to change this in the alias of the folder, it doesn't allow me to do this directly in the Finder.

Is this something that I can manipulate in the Mac? or do I have to somehow change permissions in the Windows folder itself. (This folder needs to be Write and Read for other PCs).

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
If you want it so that only Mac users cannot delete files on the windows share you could create a group called "Mac Users" and change the group NTFS permissions to read-only and add your Mac users to that group. You should also make sure that the Mac users don't belong to any other group with write permissions on that particular share because permissions are cumulative. You could also share the same folder with a different name and have the share permissions read-only and have your Mac users access the share through the new sharepoint rather than the old one which allowed them to delete the files. (These are both done on the Windows machine).

If the Mac users need to be able to change/modify the files on the Windows share they will always be able to delete them and about all you can do is educate them to be more careful.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi. Thank you for your reply Bubba.

Terribly sorry to sound like a complete novice (I am a complete novice), but how do I set this group up? Is this done inside the Mac or Windows?

Again, sorry to ask such a basic question.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.