iMac Won't Turn On!

Reaction score
Hi All!

I am relatively new to Macs, but have had a desktop with little use for roughly two years. Last week, I left my computer on and it went into sleep mode and was frozen when I went to wake it up. I held down the power button to shut down the computer and since then I have not been able to access my desktop at all!

I turn it on and it shows the white screen with the apple logo, I enter my password and then the screen either turns blue and shows the cursor and nothing else; or I am shown a white pixelated screen that changes to the blue screen once I click the mouse. I am unable to get past the blue screen no matter how many avenues I try!

Please assist me if you have any suggestions at all!

Thank you SO much!
Bernadette

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well Bernadette helps greatly if you supply iMac details, model and processor speed etc., and operating system. For starters try an SMC reset by shutting down, unplugging from the mains and leave unplugged for ten minutes or so, plug back in and try to boot. If no joy try zapping the PRAM by restarting and immediately after the chime hold down the Command, Option P and R keys all together and keep held down until after the third chime and release.

Next step boot from the system install disc, or if Lion or Mountain Lion, from Recovery, go into Disk Utility and run Repair Disk from there for starters. Keep us posted?

Reaction score
It could be your hard drive

I just went through this with tech support. I had tried to repair my Lion with the utility but after many discussions with tech support and the iTunes support they informed me that some iMacs between 2009 and 2011 have bad hard drives by seagate and they were informing people they may need to be replaced but they didn't reach me and may not have sent you this recall. It's the 20-27 inch models I think. Mine is 27.

Reaction score
Hard drive replacement program

They will replace your hard drive for free and reinstall your OS at a nearby Apple store if it is one of the iMacs with a seagate hard drive. You can determine this by going to the apple site and searching for hard drive replacement, they have a form to fill in with your serial number so have that ready. My desktop had this on the bottom of the stand in very tiny print. It was not easy to locate and heavy since its then27 inch so Ill save you looking for it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you so much for everyone's assistance! Unfortuneately none of the suggestions thus far have been successful. Below are the specs of my iMac:

27" screen
Mac OS X
3.06GHz intel Core 2 Duo Processor
1TB serial ATA Hard Drive

Might be too much info but thought anything could be helpful! :)

As always, thank you so much!
B

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.