Apple charging for free downloads and updates?

Reaction score
So i noticed on my vodafone account, and my friend's accounts, both of us having iphones, that there are charges for texts to this international UK number.

we never texted those. so i contacted vodafone asking *** was up.
they sent it through to their technical team and they said it was for me downloading apps.

apparently downloading an app or an update had sent a request to a UK number which had charged me $0.31. nine times. so like nearly $3.

*** is this?

i said no, apps come from the app store through apple. but they are certain that UK number is from apple apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Vodafone UK - wouldn't trust them to give me the time of day without lies and mis-information. (sorry very very poor customer 'service' experiences).

But, my Vodafone bias aside, downloading from the App Store, including in app purchasing does not use text messaging as a charging mechanic. All charges are debited from your iTunes account.

The only way I can see this happening is using a webapp - which is just like being on a web page so all bets are off. Though I can't think of how a) this could happen without user knowledge and b) I don't think the web browser has access to the SMS system.

I'd get back in touch (without holding your breath) and ask for details - dates, times, number used etc.

Knowing which number these texts went to may help track it down.

OP
P
Reaction score
Its actually vodafone new zealand which is why its charging heaps for international texts

the texts are going out to 00447786205094

nothing shows up on my phone, only my bill.

i contacted them but their technical team isnt budging and told me to follow it up with apple =\.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That number stems from a bug back in 2010 when it was used to activate FaceTime.

Should still be happening from what I understand. Which version of iOS are you running?

Could be worth making that call to Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reading further FaceTime or iMessage activation sends these texts. If the iPhone is on a supported carrier these messages are non-chargeable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.