Imac turns off when i plug in a flash drive

Reaction score
hey i have a really annoying problem that i think started around a week ago. every time i plug and kind of USB flash drive the mac osx 10.5.6 gives me the "you need to restart your computer. hold down the power button for several second or press the restart button" message. i talked to apple and they told me to restart my PRAM and NVRAM which i did and did not help me at all.
i really need a solution please please help me

i dont have warranty on it, it only happens with flash drives. my ipod makes no problems to me at all when connecting it via a USB port

Reaction score
seems like your getting a kernel panic and from the looks of it its most likely a logic board problem.. Make sure you do these steps:
1. reset pram(option+command+R+P) while restarting.
2. wait for the 3rd chime
3. after hearing the 3rd chime immediately press shift(safe mode)
4. repair permissions while on safe mode. Then try inserting a usb device
5. alternatively you can try to repair disk and permissions by booting from the OS X cd by pressing C while restarting your machine.

Worst comes to worst you need to bring it in for repair and i hate to say it buddy you need to pay for it.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks alot ill try to do this but the thing is that my ipod works completely fine so i dont think it is a problem with the hardware..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.