Can I add an ATI card to a Nvideo card Mac Pro

Reaction score
I have the Jan 8th Mac Pro and purchased it with the NVidea Geforce 8800 GT and want to add a 2nd graphics card. Will I have to add the same graphics card or can I add an ATI Radeon HD 2600? Will the two work okay in the same system using separate monitors?
What is suggested as a good 20 ft. DVI extension cable? This is the approximate length I need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
they will work as long as it is the MAC varient and not windows (you can just buy any video card off the shelf),they "should" work fine together, to save possible driver issues usually good to just buy the same card.

any reason you want the 2600 ?

Reaction score
Okay, I was hoping it's not a problem. I was looking at the 2600 mainly to save money for the additional monitors and they won't be used as frequently.

F

Fallooza

Okay, I was hoping it's not a problem. I was looking at the 2600 mainly to save money for the additional monitors and they won't be used as frequently.

maybe its just me but... it seems like RickR is your other user name

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
makes sense then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Does the installed video card have 2 DVI outputs? If true then you will not need a second card. Try it before you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good point the 8800 series all have dual DVI outputs, pretty much all cards have dual DVI these days and the 8800 is "dual link" so it can run the 1920 + resolutions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.