missing application folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
Somehow my application folder disappeared from the dock and I don't know how to get it back...all help appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It should still show up in Finder. Simply grab the folder and drag it to the dock and it will make an alias in your dock again. The items in the dock are not the actual live folders (documents, downloads, applications). Just aliases (Mac OSX version of shortcuts). Drag an item out of your dock and let it go if you want to remove it. Drag an item into your dock if you want to add it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Folders to the right, applications to the left

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I did find a blue folder in Finder, and I did drag to the dock, but it had nothing in it but one thing called "akamai" (which I don't recognize). It did not have all my apps as it did before it disappeared...now what?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure you have the correct folder? The Applications folder looks like a big "A" and if you're using Mountain Lion it's not blue in the Finder. The big "A" icon to the left on the sidebar is gray in color. Also, the Applications folder can not be deleted or removed as it's locked by the system.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I am not mistaken Akamai is part of some things from Adobe. Have you done a help chat with their tech support recently? It may also be part of Photoshop Elements. Not sure though.

I am guessing that what you found is the Applications folder that is inside your user account. There is another Applications folder at the root level of your hard drive. That is the one you need to drag to the dock. Here's how to find the right one.

1. Start from the Finder. If your hard drive is on the Desktop double click to open it. If not go to Finder preferences and make sure Hard Disks is checked under General.

2. Once you have opened the hard drive in a Finder window look for an Applications folder at the root level of the drive. Not inside any other folders.

3. Select the folder and drag it to the Dock. Make sure it is to the right of the dividing line.

How to put the Applications folder in the Dock - YouTube

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
Found it!

Ah, thank you...following the instructions from Slydude, I found and replace the app folder on the dock...thanks very much

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got that squared away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.