Deleting Files in Quick time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MacBook Pro, new 2013 21.5 IMac, iPad (retina)
I mentioned this problem I'm having in another thread but it still is a problem for me.

I've made several audio files from a mic in quick time. So far so good. Now I want to erase them. There in is my problem.

So far I've tried highlighting them and looking for the delete command in the file drop down menu....but it is not available.

I've tried dragging the files to the trash can and releasing the file there. no go.

My only thought abut this now is that I'm trying to do this through the quick time program in it's show file command. Is this my problem? Is there another way to get to the file holding the sound files that will allow me to erase them??

Help please !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to the correct forum.

You need to exit from QuickTime first and then use the Finder to delete the audio files that you created. If you can't find them, use Spotlight to search. Once QT is shut down the files will be released from use and can be deleted.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All right. I quit quick time and found the files on spotlight. If I click on them they open in quick time. I tried to drag them to the waste basket that way and no go. I closed quick time again and got back to spotlight. Tried dragging the files directly from there to the waste basket and no go.
What I need to know I guess, is where are the actual files for the audio programes I recorded. Spot light says that they are in a file somewhere called "movies".. Any idea where that might be?
Thanks for any help with this. I know it is probably obvious to every other mac user but not to me.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay....never mind I figured it out. Asked spotlight where "movie folder" was and got pointed to it.

Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
I finally found the "movie" which I wasn't given a chance to name or place in a specific location. Strange. Now I force quite quicktime, deleted my movies, emptied the trash, got back into QT, viola! there's my movie I just deleted. I did this routine a couple of times.

Can anyone give me a clue that doesn't take half the day to read through?

Reaction score
Deleting Quicktime files

It is tricky, and why QT 10.1 is that way I've no idea. I far prefer the older version of 7.7. But you should be able to close QT, find the movie file, and then drag the files you don't want into the trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.