need help with monitor

Reaction score
i hope someone can help me. i have the white macbook 6.1 laptop. i just purchased a mini displayport to DVI adapter. so i can hook up my dvi monitor. i'm having problems seting it up in the preferences. can some one help me?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Maybe you could "expand" on what the specific setup issues are...this way the suggestions you get can be specific to the problem?:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I have hooked up a Mini displayport to DVI adapter to my macbook. when i click on detect displays. it does not see it. i know when i use a VGA monitor one time, everything work perfect. is there another setting i have to adjust?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have hooked up a Mini displayport to DVI adapter to my macbook. when i click on detect displays. it does not see it. i know when i use a VGA monitor one time, everything work perfect. is there another setting i have to adjust?

- Have you tried restarting your computer...after...connecting the monitor?
- Did you press the power button to turn on the monitor?
- Do you have the monitors power cord plugged in?

I know some of these possibilities/suggestions sound "silly" to even mention...but ya never know!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hooking up an external monitor to a Mac laptop is usually VERY easy.

- What exactly are you seeing on this external monitor when it is connected to your laptop?
- Are you 100% sure this monitor is functional?

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
yes, the monitor has DVI and VGA port. the VGA side is hooked up to my pc. but it's turned off right now. i use to run VGA on the mac.

OP
C
Reaction score
I made an interesting disvovery. My monitor is VGA and DVI. on my PC I can run VGA or DVI, not a problem. But on my MAC I can only run VGA. DVI does not work on my MAC. Does anyone have any thoughts why this would happen?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, the monitor has DVI and VGA port. the VGA side is hooked up to my pc. but it's turned off right now. i use to run VGA on the mac.

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that this monitor is simultaneously plugged into your Windows computer via VGA...and your Mac via DVI? If so...this could be a problem. Remove all cables going to your Windows computer...and ONLY have the DVI cable going from the Mac to the external monitor.

Do you have two video adapters for your Mac (a mini-displayport to VGA...and a mini-displayport to DVI)?

Another thought is (since your Mac works with the VGA adapter)...maybe the mini-displayport to DVI adapter is "bad" (not working).

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
VGA and DVI

I have a external monitor and it has VGA and DVI ports on the back. I can hook up vga port to my macbook 6.1 but DVI does not work. I know DVI works because i tryied it on other computers, What could be the problem? HELP PLEASE

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No need to post multipole threads for the same topic. Thanks.

Back to your question. I posted some ideas/questions earlier (post #9)...but you did not respond to everything I suggested...so hard to know exactly where things stand.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
The adapter I purchased is good, I tried it on my PC and it works fine. It's almost like my MAC will not recognize DVI adapters.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The adapter I purchased is good, I tried it on my PC and it works fine. It's almost like my MAC will not recognize DVI adapters.

Just so I'm 100% understanding things...you said that this external monitor works when you use it via VGA...and not DVI.

Do you have BOTH a mini-displayport to VGA adapter...AND...a mini-displayport to DVI adapter for your Macintosh? And if so...did you test both adapters with your Mac and this external monitor?

Also...you said that the mini-displayport to DVI adapter works on your Windows/PC computer. Does your Windows/PC computer have a mini-displayport video port? I think that this is fairly uncommon on Windows computers.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
I have a ViewSonic Monitor, and on the back I can hook up two cables if I want. One VGA and one DVI. My PC has a video card that has both. I tryed them both and I know the Monitor it's self is fine. My VGA adapter works fine on the MAC. The DVI adapter is the second one I purchased. and does not work on my MAC. Is it posable that the DVI part in my MAC is not working? :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm carefully asking & wording specific questions for a reason...so I can methodically & logically troubleshoot the situation. Without the answers...it's very difficult to continue.

I'm sorry...but I cannot help you further. When I ask specific questions...I need specific answers.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.