Late 2006 MacBook (Generation 2)

Reaction score
I just purchased a used (in pristine condition) MacBook (Generation 2) 2nd Generation 13-inch with 1.83 GHz Processor. The person I purchased it from has upgraded the memory to 2GB and the hard drive to 60GB.

I did do some searching on the web and on Apple's site and still have a couple of hardware questions you might be able to answer.

Here is the link for this MacBook: MacBook (Late 2006) - Technical Specifications

Questions:

1. Is there any way to go over 2GB of memory?

2. What is the biggest hard drive I can add?

3. No disks came with this MacBook so what do I need to buy for the new Hard Drive? It's Currently running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

Thanks for any answers you can provide!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Questions:

3. No disks came with this MacBook so what do I need to buy for the new Hard Drive? It's Currently running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

Answers:

1. If it's truly a 2nd gen. MacBook with a "Core 2 Duo" cpu (not Core Duo) then it can be upgraded to 4 gig of ram (but only around 3 gig is useable/addressable).

2. Somewhere around 500gig (it should also be a 9.5mm height drive).

3. Go to the Apple Store...and buy a $29 Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) install disk.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Nick,

When I click on the Apple/About This Mac I see:

Processor: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.4f12

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz

That helps a lot! Your MacBook is actually a 1st gen. MacBook...not a 2nd gen. This is because it's a "MacBook 1,1" and because it's a "Core Duo" (not a Core 2 Duo).

This makes a difference. So the answer to question #1 now is...no you cannot upgrade the ram any further (2 gig of ram is the max for this MacBook model).

The answers to questions 2 & 3 remain the same.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

1. Someone else has already given you the answer, but questions like this can be answered by downloading and running MacTracker. This is a program that will tell you the specs and possible upgrades for every single mac ever made.

2. I don't know if there's a max capacity HD you can install. The important thing is that you get an HD that is 9.5mm in height. I have a 2006 MacBook Pro and just installed last week a 640 GB HD. There was a 750 GB drive that was also 9.5mm in height. As technology gets better I'm sure they'll eventually fit a 1 TB hard drive in a 9.5mm casing.

3. I'm not expert, but I think you should be able to upgrade the hard drive with 10.5.8. However, as has already been stated, the snow leopard upgrade disk is just $30. If you're looking to spend some money to upgrade you may as well get this too.

The one program you'll need is Carbon Copy Cloner (free download). When you get your new HD, I also recommend you get an enclosure (I got this one on Amazon...only $5). Put the new HD in the enclosure then plug it into your macbook with the USB cable. Format it with Disk Utility (directions to format). Then use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact, bootable copy of the current hard drive on the new one (CCC directions). Once the hard drive is cloned onto the new one, open up the computer, take out the old drive, put in the new one, and hit go.

MAKE SURE YOU GET A T6 Torx screwdriver! I needed one for my MBP upgrade...I assume you'll need one too.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, I went out and bought a new Western Digital (Blue) 320GB Drive. I also picked up Snow Leopard. I did find some information on this site for replacing the drive and it worked perfect. The install was flawless. I was amazed as I have never installed a Mac OS. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all the awesome information!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I went out and bought a new Western Digital (Blue) 320GB Drive. I also picked up Snow Leopard. I did find some information on this site for replacing the drive and it worked perfect. The install was flawless. I was amazed as I have never installed a Mac OS. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all the awesome information!!

Wow...you work fast!!!;) Congrats on the successful hard drive upgrade & OS install...and thanks for the update!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.