Cost of Invertor Board replacement (backlight gone!)

Reaction score
Hi! the backlight of my macbook has stopped to work. As I mentioned previously, Apple guys are asking for 750$ to replace the logic board.
I went to a local mac service repair centre and they did their diagnostics and told me the Inverter board and cables need to be replaced.

They are quoting 245$ for Inverter board replacement and 95$ for cable replacement. This sounds over the top for me. Some websites show the cost of a macbook inverter board to be around 50-60$.

Can someone tell me if the quote price seems reasonable or not?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi! the backlight of my macbook has stopped to work. As I mentioned previously, Apple guys are asking for 750$ to replace the logic board.
I went to a local mac service repair centre and they did their diagnostics and told me the Inverter board and cables need to be replaced.

They are quoting 245$ for Inverter board replacement and 95$ for cable replacement. This sounds over the top for me. Some websites show the cost of a macbook inverter board to be around 50-60$.

Can someone tell me if the quote price seems reasonable or not?

Understand that there is always mark-up when you go to a repair shop. $75-100 is about normal price for the part. I would probably charge $100 for labor, so $245 to have an Apple store (who will guarantee their work and have easy access to new parts) does not seem out of line. The cables are likely fine (I would specifically ask that they diagnose a specific problem and not just keep replacing parts until they find the right one).

The only reason I would lean toward having the Apple store do it is that sometimes faulty backlights are not caused by the inverter. The other half of the equation is the CCFL tube which is the actual "light bulb" that lights the screen. That can be difficult to replace, although not an expensive part (usually $15-20).

If Apple will guarantee their diagnosis for that price (meaning, that if they replace the inverter and find that it isn't the faulty component, and therefore replace any other defective parts for that price), then it's worth it.

It should be very easy to isolate the inverter as the cause of the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.