Icon issues on startup in Mac OS X 10.X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13.3" 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac OS X (10.5) 4 GB RAM
I purchased my MacBook about a year ago and love it. I will be converting all of our computers (home and office) to Macs as a result. However, the only strange thing that keeps occurring is that my icons keep changing from whatever icon is associated with the file type (e.g., *.doc files to MS Word for Mac) to Mac Preview icons soon after booting up. My desktop appears initially with all correct icons associated. Then as the boot continues and a couple of additional items appear in the upper right corner (e.g., LogMeIn, Time Capsule, Bluetooth, etc.), all of the icons switch to Preview. Perhaps this is something that I need to address at an Apple store, though we have none close to us. The files are still properly associated because I can open them or "Get Info" to confirm that. Has anyone had this issue? I searched the forums but could not find anything exactly on point. Thank you in advance for any tips.

kaw

Reaction score
If the problem you are describing is simply that the default icons are overwritten with Mac Preview icons, the solution is easy.

With Finder active, click View -> Show View Options:

Then, uncheck "Show icon preview".

I was having the same problem and stumbled on your post. Your wording made it easy to find the fix. Thanks.

--kaw

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13.3" 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac OS X (10.5) 4 GB RAM
Thanks, kaw. That resolved my issue!

Kind regards,

Jason

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.