• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How can i revisit and rework a past project?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I made a movie in iMovie and burned it to a DVD. But I want to revisit and rework it, making changes. I cannot find under File anything that resembles opening an existing project. It is long, (33 minutes) with narration and music and cannot afford the time to redo the entire project again.

How can I resurrect the project to accomplish a redo?

C

chas_m

You can re-import the DVD using Handbrake to turn it back into editable format (DV is recommended if you want to preserve the quality).

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
Ah, but I gave the DVD to a friend who hasn't returned it....yet. However, the "project" remains listed in my documents...so how do I get that project back into iMovie for more editing? The project was my first and it kept showing back in iMovie each time I opened iMovie when I was first working on it. After making the first DVD from that project, I started on a second unrelated project, but now can't bring back the first project...that is what I am after...how do I do it?

Reaction score
You can re-import the DVD using Handbrake to turn it back into editable format (DV is recommended if you want to preserve the quality).
How can one use Handbrake to convert to DV format?

This is from the Handbrake website:
...we recommend use of another tool ( MPEG Streamclip is one solution) to convert your DVD to a less-lossy intermediate format called DV, which will import into iMovie but result in far less generational loss (thus improving the quality of the final output). There are no plans to introduce DV output in HandBrake.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
As earlier posted, I do not have the DVD, and so I need how to resurrect the project from my Mac ... is there someway to get the project back into iMovie for further editing when the DVD is not available?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.