gcc compiling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I am trying to install some extension files for python to allow it to read all types of website characters, not just the standard ones. Below is my problem.

Code:
sfe04:~/Desktop/cjkcodecs-1.1.1 username$ python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'cjkcodecs._multibytecodec' extension
gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4 -c src/multibytecodec.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/src/multibytecodec.o
unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

I have installed Xcode and the developer tools given by the ADC website and so I assume I have the GNU gcc compiler and all the flags, but apparently not.

So basically, right now I am googling how to get the gcc compiler tags listed above in my gcc compiler. I am not really sure how to check if I have all of them once I download and install another gcc package however, so I am sort of stuck. Please let me know if you have had this problem and know how to fix it.

Thanks in Advance,

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Hmm .. when I installed Xcode and all the tools from the Tiger install CD, it put gcc in /usr/bin. Go to a terminal and do:

ls -l /usr/bin/gcc*

and see what comes back.

Reaction score
Also let us know what you get when you type:
echo $PATH

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cradom said:
Also let us know what you get when you type:
echo $PATH

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
In Terminal, type:

which gcc

and report back. This will tell you whether gcc is on your path. Your path does include /usr/bin, which is where it should be.

I would also manually check /usr/bin/gcc, and make sure that it is executable and readable by all. It is unlikely that its permissions have been changed, but worth checking. This is NOT a recommendation to do a "repair permissions" which borders on a useless time waster most of the time. Just check the permissions of this one file.

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac57 said:
In Terminal, type:

which gcc

and report back. This will tell you whether gcc is on your path. Your path does include /usr/bin, which is where it should be.

I would also manually check /usr/bin/gcc, and make sure that it is executable and readable by all. It is unlikely that its permissions have been changed, but worth checking. This is NOT a recommendation to do a "repair permissions" which borders on a useless time waster most of the time. Just check the permissions of this one file.

It is in the right place. I went ahead and changed the permissions on the gcc in usr/bin to be readable and now it works. Must have been that. Thanks.

James

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.