Disk repair software

Reaction score
Recently my new MB Pro (OS X, 5.6) began running significantly slower and taking longer to boot up. I deleted videos and apps that I don't use, but haven't seen any improvements. Please advise on any disk utility software that's out there. I'm new to the Mac world, so don't really know what to look for (my old PCs had the defrag and disk repair utilities preinstalled). I looked at the Leopard Cache Cleaner, but there are several bad reviews, so I want to get some feedback before buying. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi, the Disk Utility is in Applications -> Utilities if you want to try it out, but best run from the installation disk - boot up with the disk in and holding the C key down until the Apple grey screen comes up. Then go to Utilities on the top bar and select Disk Utility.
The other way is to download and install OnyX from Titanium Software which can handle all sorts of maintenance checks and utilities.

Hope this helps

Cheers :)

Hugh

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The two best regarded maintenance apps by most are Onyx (noted above) and MainMenu.
Both are freeware.

If it's just running slow, and not a drive going bad, Disk Utility and one of these is all you should need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.