Just Joined/Ordered

A

anjam

Hey guys and girls. Been around these forums for quite a while and reading up on stuff. Yesterday i finally took the plunge and ordered myself a 12" ibook G4 and joined the forums.

Really looking forward to getting it and just wondering what prepartion i can do in the meantime before i get it. Its going to be my first ever Apple machine and i have only ever used apple computers for a total of like a few hours but i really love the interface and i know i will hopefully grow to love it.

So just wondering what i can do in the meantime i have been reading these forums and bought a few mac magazines.

Also what should i do once i get it in terms of updates and stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
anjam said:
Hey guys and girls. Been around these forums for quite a while and reading up on stuff. Yesterday i finally took the plunge and ordered myself a 12" ibook G4 and joined the forums.

Really looking forward to getting it and just wondering what prepartion i can do in the meantime before i get it. Its going to be my first ever Apple machine and i have only ever used apple computers for a total of like a few hours but i really love the interface and i know i will hopefully grow to love it.

So just wondering what i can do in the meantime i have been reading these forums and bought a few mac magazines.

Congratulations, an iBook is on my next 'to buy' list.

Preperation... hhhmmm get some clothe diapers to wipe your baby down after every use.

If you don't already have broadband, order it! Then get an Airport station or Wireless router :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Welcome and congratulations. :)

anjam said:

It sounds like you're off to a good start. This forum will be very helpful, and Apple's own support forums can also be helpful and informative. However, for now there really isn't much you need to prepare for. If you happen to need any quick answers to questions once you have the iBook running, you should also try the Help feature found in your Menu bar. It's amazing how helpful (hehe) it can actually be.

anjam said:

The first thing I'd suggest after you get it set up and turned on is to run the Software Update feature. You'll find it by clicking on the Apple in the left corner of your Menu bar. This will make sure you're up to date. I'd then suggest that you download a maintenance program. Two popular ones are OnyX and MacJanitor. They'll make the limited maintenance that OS X requires very simple and easy to perform. I personally use OnyX because it has more features and allows you to also change some settings in OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Congratz! What you posted reminds me a bit about me -- I went to a CompUSA with a friend and started tinkering with a Mac. About 7 minutes later I was totally certain that my next hardware change was gonna be a Mac. Couldn't be happier! :)

OP
A

anjam

Yep - cant wait! Whats better in terms of maintenance thing onyx or mcjanitor?

Also when i get it can i play with it stright away or should i stick it on charge and let it charge fully etc?

Also do you think i should get a mouse?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I'd say they are the same, I use neither - prefer to run all that manually with disk utility and the terminal. Post if you wanna see how and I will post itl

OP
M

MoltenLava

I've been using MacJanitor for while, and today I've downloaded Onyx to try it out. I'm very impressed with Onyx. MacJanitor does its job done as manually running cron jobs. Onyx does a lot more, in much more professinoal looking UI. High recommended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
MoltenLava said:
I've been using MacJanitor for while, and today I've downloaded Onyx to try it out. I'm very impressed with Onyx. MacJanitor does its job done as manually running cron jobs. Onyx does a lot more, in much more professinoal looking UI. High recommended.

That's what I've been saying! :D OnyX was recently updated too, and the new interface is, IMO, very nice (check out the gold icon set too). I think every OS X user should give it a try. It's a wonderful application, and you can't beat the cost. ;)

OP
T

The mac 13

anjam said:
Yep - cant wait! Whats better in terms of maintenance thing onyx or mcjanitor?

Also when i get it can i play with it stright away or should i stick it on charge and let it charge fully etc?

Also do you think i should get a mouse?

Thanks
GET A MOUSE!its important for portable usage. get an optical mouse where you can use it on any surface. i m so happy for u to get tthat iBook...

OP
M

MickMAC

For my maintenance I use a program called Macaroni. You have to pay like $20 for it but it is customizable and runs thru your systems prefs automatically. I love it!

Also if you can, spring for the Apple wireless optical mouse it is sweet and will match your ibook... Mine works great and the batterys last for months at a time

OP
A

anjam

Okay its coming today! What should i do when i get it? Charge it properly first or?

OP
C

Cloudane

Apple recommend you fully charge it, then fully discharge it, then fully charge it again IIRC to calibrate the battery meter. But they just say "within your first week or so". Personally the first thing I did was start playing with it, as it had a couple of hours charge and I couldn't wait, then do the cycle thing later :) Seemed fine.

The cycle does take quite a while, to flatten the battery, which is a testament to the excellent battery life they at the very least *start* with. It's the first time I've ever been frustrated at how long a laptop takes to go flat :p

OP
P

PRinMD

An easy way to discharge your battery while trying your new laptop out would be to just insert a movie and watch it. that can take up some juice if you don't have it to low settings, if you do, you might wanna see 2 movies, if they are short. lol

OP
A

anjam

Okay, thanks, thanks and thanks to everyone that replied. I just can't wait now, few hrs to go!

OP
A

anjam

Just had a thought, do i need to do updates etc stright away and how do i go about performing them?

OP
C

Cloudane

Only an Apple newbie myself, but I get the impression that updates aren't really as critical as they are in Windows. It's a good idea to do them every once in a while, of course, but you probably won't get hackers storming in if you were to leave it until you're finished playing :)

Extremely simple to do - Apple menu (top-left), Software Update and follow the instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.