Any Value in Put HDD to Sleep on SSD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I was messing with my preferences in the "Energy Saver" panel and was wondering what folks thought about the value of "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" option. Would think it wouldn't make much difference on a SSD drive equiped MBA since there isn't any disk platter to spin up and maintain. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I think you've already got your answer. The whole point of putting a hard drive to sleep is to stop the platters from spinning and saving the power required to run the motor. With an SSD there is no motor spinning the platters, therefore nothing to use extra energy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
.....With an SSD there is no motor spinning the platters, therefore nothing to use extra energy.

You are right in saying that with SSD there are no mechanical parts and no requirements to " start the engines ", however ....

SSD technology does have the idle and sleep mode like normal HDD's and idle/sleep uses less power that active state .... even with SSD's.

Not sure if you will notice a big difference in battery life though between active or sleep mode on SSD's.

Cheers
McBie

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Thanks all. Just needed some input which is appreciated. I'll leave HDD Sleep enabled and see what, if any, impact it has on battery and sleep mode.
Cheers,
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
SSD technology does have the idle and sleep mode like normal HDD's and idle/sleep uses less power that active state .... even with SSD's.

The difference in power consumption between the two states on an SSD is so marginal that it will really have no effect on battery time......which is why I didn't mention it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.