do I need an airport card to access net or simply netgear usb wifi

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a powerPC G4 with mac osx 10.4.
I recently picked up a refurbished netgear USB wifi finder that I was told will give my mac internet access.
the mac has an internal built in telephone modem I think - but I have never used it...I don't think it has airport either as it does not pick up any wifi signal. I've never used it for internet and the newer mac's I've used all have the airport built in.

I was looking for a cheap way to get my desktop online and I was told that all I would need is this little USB plug in drive from netgear that will get wireless signals.
I installed it and the software; but still I cannot get safari to work. It does show that I am receiving a 40% signal in the netgear utility.
Do I also need an airport card to install? Is this netgear USB plug in all I need? It seems like I am missing something like a modem or something. All of my other computers connect fine.
Maybe I need to manually enter an IP or something?
Netgear support had not a clue.
thanks for the help.
Matt

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Please give us more info.

What PowerMac G4 is this? Specs please especially the CPU speed. All the PowerMac G4's from the 350Mhz Sawtooth model to the last Mirror Drive Door model all can have a built in Airport card. If I know which Powermac you have I can tell you where to look. You say you are running 10.4 which is Tiger. If you click on the Apple in the top left corner and on About this Mac and on More Info, look down the list and see if Airport is listed and if so click on it.

Also what is the model of this Netgear USB WiFi adapter you have? Some work with OSX and some do not. I would never use any Netgear utility and would set up OSX to manage the WiFi.

Get back to us with the above info and we will try and help.

OP
W
Reaction score
mac info

Hey there....
thx so much for helping out....
Checked out the "more info" and it says that there is "no information found" for the airport card....

the netgear USB wireless adapter is model WG111v2

mac info....
osx 10.4
867 MHZ powerPC G4
2MB L3 Cache
1.5GB SDRAM

my powerbook has a little wireless icon up at the top of the screen that detects networks....the powerpc does not have anything like that.

It's an older computer for sure and I rarely used it (never used for internet but older photo editing) but I think it would be the perfect "internet only" type computer so I picked up the netgear USB wireless adaptor for $20 online and figured it would be a cheap way to get the desktop connected.
It sounded way too easy to simply have to plug in this usb drive (download&install software) and then get connected. I'm used to the old days of buying modems - internal/external and all these wires and such. A simple USB device seems much too easy. Do I need to buy/install any additional Mac cards to make this USB useable?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Will check on the Netgear WG111V2 and see what I can find.

No you need nothing to make the USB work.

Did you download this driver?

Netgear WG111V2 Driver

If your card is a V2 it should work. They say there are folders and be sure to install the right driver for 10.4. Also did you reboot afterwards?

Netgear WG111V2

Found this also that you might read.

Netgear WG111 v2 USB dongle - InsanelyMac Forum

Dood claims to have it working and give a URL to the drivers he used.

Reaction score
Hey, Did you get this working? I have the same problem as Wrightm only that I have a Mac Mini and my USB adapter is a PCI (GW - US54GXS). Any isuggestions on how to get it working. It says on the box that the USB A is Mac compatable and shold work with my Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.