Is the Ipod for me?

T

ttaleric

Hey guys, i new to the forums and I am deciding between an Ipod (15gig) Or the Dell DJ. I will be using the mobile device just to hold music, im not going to be playing games on it. I will hook it up to my Alpine headunit in my car. I am just looking basically for the better unit. I dont want you guys to be bias on your oppions. Let me know what the deal is. I know the Ipod is about 75$ more expensive but is it worth it? Because if it is, then im there. Let me know. And when i say "better" i mean, Software, hardware, reliability, userfriendly. And when i am on the long haul with my car, will i have to keep looking at the LCD, or will i be able to navagate the mobile device with out looking at it. (or bearly looking at it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
with my unbias opinion i would say that the iPod is the way to go. I looked at them both also. The iPod is more user friendly with its interface. Also, it is thinner, lighter and is compatible with Mac and PC so just in case you become a switcher. I have had no issues with my iPod in terms of relibility so far. Its works wonderfully. I love it and it goes with me everywhere. Also, the look of the iPod just surpasses the DJ.

OP
T

ttaleric

Thanks for the reply. I am still stuck between the two. I like the thumb scroll with the DJ. But i like the looks and the software with the Ipod! Help!!!!

OP
C

cakman2

Get the iPod, you wont be dissapointed. You get the other thing and eventually you will regret not having bought the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I really, really suggest going to the computer store and getting firsthand experience on both of them, that scrollwheel thing that DJ has is pathetic compared to the round touch wheel of the iPod, the iPod will probably last a lot longer, resale value is a lot higher on it (just in case you want to sale and upgrade to a larger one) and just looks much, much better.

This is my unbiased opinion and opinions from a couple of my friends, they hate apple computers but love iPods. There's very, very good reason it's rated the best in about 99% of computer magazines.

But again, go to the computer and play with them. But like cakman2 said and I beleive as well, if you get the DJ, you'll probably regret it later (seriously) iPods are looked at by other people as hot items, the DJ looks like cheap plastic.. and will soon feel like that to you.

Also, with the BMW, it lets you control songs, volume, etc... with the steering wheel/CD-Deck, so maybe it lets you do the same with your thing, I really have no clue though.

OP
T

ttaleric

It has been done!!!! Today I put out the cash. I have bought a 20gig ipod straight from the Mac store.. I get a discount for haivng a family member that works for cisco! so my total is 392.69! I cannot wait!!!!!!

OP
T

ttaleric

sKaD said:
I really, really suggest going to the computer store and getting firsthand experience on both of them, that scrollwheel thing that DJ has is pathetic compared to the round touch wheel of the iPod, the iPod will probably last a lot longer, resale value is a lot higher on it (just in case you want to sale and upgrade to a larger one) and just looks much, much better.

This is my unbiased opinion and opinions from a couple of my friends, they hate apple computers but love iPods. There's very, very good reason it's rated the best in about 99% of computer magazines.

But again, go to the computer and play with them. But like cakman2 said and I beleive as well, if you get the DJ, you'll probably regret it later (seriously) iPods are looked at by other people as hot items, the DJ looks like cheap plastic.. and will soon feel like that to you.

Also, with the BMW, it lets you control songs, volume, etc... with the steering wheel/CD-Deck, so maybe it lets you do the same with your thing, I really have no clue though.

No, i have a Mercedes Benz. But i do have a Alpine 9813 which has an AUX in. and im just going to take the Y-in or whatever conectors and connect my Ipod. And do it the same way that BMW has and put the ipod in the same place just to old it. One question. Does the ipod have Heat issues? Does it shut off as soon as it gets too hot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
ttaleric said:
Does the ipod have Heat issues? Does it shut off as soon as it gets too hot?

No.

& Congratz

OP
T

ttaleric

Also.. What Hacks have you done to your ipod? Anything you suggest that i do?

OP
T

ttaleric

Good lord. please Ipod come faster! :) sorry for all the ranting.. Im very excited about this. I also dropped 400 or close to 400$ on this. Im just a lazy college student!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
ttaleric said:
How long does it usually take to get your ipod?
Well, usually 2-3 months.

Okay, maybe not. I would think around 2-8 business days?

OP
T

ttaleric

It has been shipped... Good lord. i cannot wait to get this... HURRY FedEX!!!!!!!

OP
T

ttaleric

Well its here, the 20gig.. My ONLY problem.. I have no firewire port. so i hvae to dish out another 19.99 to buy the USB/Firewire cable.. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
ttaleric said:
Well its here, the 20gig.. My ONLY problem.. I have no firewire port. so i hvae to dish out another 19.99 to buy the USB/Firewire cable.. :\
lol, bummer. But that really isn't a "problem". I hope you enjoy mang, it's a good purchase and you won't regret it.

OP
T

ttaleric

sKaD said:
lol, bummer. But that really isn't a "problem". I hope you enjoy mang, it's a good purchase and you won't regret it.

Woot!!
One of my other PC's had a Sound Blaster Audigy Plat. So it had a firewire port on it!! WOOOT!!!!!! **** yeah... How do you guys set up your itunes? I havnt really sent any mp3's yet.. i about a couple thousand. So Lemme know how you guys set up your albums or playlists

OP
I

IndianPowerbook

congrats and good luck

there have been no hacks that I have heard about.

post a pic of ur set up in ur car as soon as your done witht that

OP
T

ttaleric

IndianPowerbook said:
congrats and good luck

there have been no hacks that I have heard about.

post a pic of ur set up in ur car as soon as your done witht that

Sounds good... As soon as i finish up the install.. Im waiting on Alpine to release their attachment for the Ipod to the Headunit. That will be sweet!!! But until then ill get some pics of the current install. I have done 2 installs so far with the Ipod. One i put the ipod in the Cup Holder in my friends car. And in mine im putting it in the Glove Box...

One more thing.. Has anyone experienced weird Batt Recharging? I let my Ipod recharge over night and i pulled it off the Dock, and it wasnt charged fully.. Its really bothering me !!!! And is it bad to not let it fully charge before taking it off again?

OP
A

anarkhy 17

The not charging thing isn't a problem at all... 1 of 2 things can happen...
-
1) You run the battery down using it, you pop it in the dock, later on you take it out, you realize it is still at the same place you left it, you have a pannick :eek: , about a 30 seconds later you realize it is full on power :eek: then you understand that it is nothing more then the iPod realizing it DOES HAVE FULL POWER :eek:, your heart rate drops down to it's normal level, "few" :) you say to yourself...
-
2)Your iPod is fully charged in it's dock, you start using it with a home stereo etc. through the output jack in the dock, after a few hours of blasting Pink Floyd through powerful Bose speakers you take your helluva good ipod out of the dock so you can carry it around while you show it off, that's when you realize it's half dead :confused: , 'what happened' you say, .... This is caused when you charge it fully and the use it with out taking it out of the Dock your using it without it charging anymore.. a simple fix is to just take it out of the dock and plug it back in.
-
and yes this DOES HAPEN WITH THE DELL DJ.
-
thank you for the switch to the coolest MP3 player in the world... mabye someday you will raise your IQ and switch to a MAC comp. :D

OP
I

iSheep

anarkhy 17 said:
thank you for the switch to the coolest MP3 player in the world... mabye someday you will raise your IQ and switch to a MAC comp. :D
**** right, that's what I'm doing soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.