Is this 4.2 update some kind of a joke or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I don't mean to be facetious, but this has to be the most unnecessarily complicated upgrade I have ever done. There is no guidance, just my Ipad doing extremely strange things. Why is it not just a simple load? What could I possibly be doing wrong? Right now, I'm syncing from my MBP. I have a black screen on the Ipad with a silvery apple logo in middle and a load line underneath it that is filled perhaps to a third and doesn't seem to budge. No instructions, no indication of what's going on or any sort of time frame. I don't get it. If this is called "ease of use," I have to wonder about something that would not be user friendly. Any encouragement out there. I've got one turkey in the fridge already. I don't need a second one connected to my MBP. Help.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Half of my apps have departed. Is this the "magic" that Steve Jobs was referring to when he introduced the Ipad? What's the deal? I did this all just to get water bubbles on my screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am not sure why you lost anything and for some it took a while because the servers
probably got overloaded. i did my phone and pad in about 30 min but that was first thing
in the morning and then checked lost nothing but gained all the features but printing.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It really boggles my mind. $50-$60 worth of apps is not a life and death issue, but really, what gives? I'll tell you one thing - Apple's not losing any money on this deal.

Do these do dads really make life better or just cause new headaches? The Ipad itself is just another major distraction, much less having to deal with an obnoxious update.

I'm afraid this episode has aroused some buyer's remorse for me. The 3G is the only thing that makes the Ipad truly worthwhile... at least to some degree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac 27",iPod 32gb, iPod Touch 2nd gen 32GB v4.2.1
I have to agree. I'm running 4.2.1 now, but when upgrading, Apple should really tell you what is going on. You think the update is done sometimes and you start using the device when suddenly it reboots and then you realize the process was never done. Crazy.

And I've been having issues with stalling backups which eventually leads to restores. What's up with that?

Mark

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's really not my thing to complain, but this puts a big burden on the user/customer with no impact on Apple whatsoever. I plunked down $100 for Apple Care on this deal as well. Why? I'm doing Apple a favor? Never too late to learn.

When I was a kid, I couldn't sleep the night before getting a new baseball glove. I was so excited. It was a simple pleasure. It's sad to say, but we have definitely lost something with all our fancy stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to agree. I'm running 4.2.1 now, but when upgrading, Apple should really tell you what is going on. You think the update is done sometimes and you start using the device when suddenly it reboots and then you realize the process was never done. Crazy.

And I've been having issues with stalling backups which eventually leads to restores. What's up with that?

Mark

It does tell you when it's done.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Schweb

Thanks for the appropriate fourm move.

The update didn't tell what it was doing or when it was done. Even if there is some question about that, just the question and the confusion in itself is an issue.

I'm sorry to say, but it seems clear that Apple has chosen to focus more on making money and counting profits these days than on caring about the customer. This update is not customer friendly. It's all about the money. It's all about frantically selling more and more apps, without any sensitivity to the people buying this stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The update didn't tell what it was doing or when it was done. Even if there is some question about that, just the question and the confusion in itself is an issue.

Every iPhone and iPad update tells you when it's done. iTunes pops up a big box saying it's done and it even tells you that it's rebooting.

I'm sorry to say, but it seems clear that Apple has chosen to focus more on making money and counting profits these days than on caring about the customer. This update is not customer friendly. It's all about the money. It's all about frantically selling more and more apps, without any sensitivity to the people buying this stuff.

You're making this call because you couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the prompts that iTunes was producing? I personally love the updates in 4.2.1 and can't believe you can say it didn't provide any customer friendly features with a straight face.

I suggest if you feel that's true that you sell all your Apple stuff and go buy HP. :p

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was only one prompt to update and that's all. There was no direct ongoing feedback about the update after that.

Not up for arguing the point further.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There was only one prompt to update and that's all. There was no direct ongoing feedback about the update after that.

There is no ongoing feedback until it's done, at which point it tells you that it's done and that it is rebooting the device. There is no need for ongoing feedback either. If you just let it do it's thing, it will work just fine.

Relax, take a deep breath and move on. Learn how the thing works before complaining that it's not working right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac 27",iPod 32gb, iPod Touch 2nd gen 32GB v4.2.1
I know when I upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0, it gave me no indication of being finished. My iPod screen returned to showing all the apps. I kept waiting for a final "I'm done" notice, but nothing happened. Eventually, I started using it (while it was still plugged in) and noticed it was working but rather laggy. Then suddenly out of nowhere it rebooted and after that it went back to working correctly. But nowhere did it tell me anything was finished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
There was a constant progress bar at the top of iTunes AND one on my iPhone screen and my iPad screen. Pretty hard to miss THAT! ...unless you closed your eyes before picking up your iPhone or iPad and tried to use it with your eyes closed. <---Not a recommended method of use. ;)

I didn't lose any apps, music, etc. Everything was normal and went smooth as silk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Thank Heaven I did not go ahead with this and ruin my iPad as I did with my iPhone3G when iOS4 first came out. The latter still does not work properly and I have now bought an Orange San Francisco to use instead.

However, I would not want to replace my iPad with anything else. It is truly magical and I want it to stay that way. What is wrong with Apple these days? It seems they used up all the remaining magic with the iPad and since then nothing works properly. The iPhone4 has been a farce, iOS4 another one and now it seems iOS4.2 is a third one.

Does anyone actually feel a few folders and a mute switch are worth the risk of a £600 paperweight? I already have a smaller £400 paperweight. :Angry:

(Incidentally, the £99 Android phone is very nice and the ability to change its software and looks so much are fun, but I still wish my iPhone worked) :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPhone4 has been a farce, iOS4 another one and now it seems iOS4.2 is a third one.

Explain. None has been a "farce" for me and all suit my needs quite well. Yes, iOS 4 doesn't run that well on a 3G iPhone, that is what it is and there are already threads about that. I think you are way off base here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Explain. None has been a "farce" for me and all suit my needs quite well. Yes, iOS 4 doesn't run that well on a 3G iPhone, that is what it is and there are already threads about that. I think you are way off base here.

Do you have a free bumper or a piece of sticky tape on the iPhone4, so you can hold it and still get a signal? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPhone4 has been a farce, iOS4 another one and now it seems iOS4.2 is a third one.

Huh? Not even sure what you're referring to, all three things you've listed have been huge successes. Are things just more angry in Britain? :p

Do you have a free bumper or a piece of sticky tape on the iPhone4, so you can hold it and still get a signal? :)

I have no case and mine works fine. This has already proven to be overblown and a non-issue so not sure why you're bringing it back up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

As was the case with my 3G and all of the iPods (Gens 1-6) I've ever owned, I put the iPhone 4 in a case out of the box so I have never seen an issue. The few times I HAVE used it without a case I've never experienced an issue.

Have you personally experienced this or are you simply parroting what you may have read on the internet? If you, or a personal friend/relation have not experienced this then you really have nothing to back up the above other than anecdotal evidence from people you don't know.

Reaction score
Thank Heaven I did not go ahead with this and ruin my iPad as I did with my iPhone3G when iOS4 first came out. The latter still does not work properly and I have now bought an Orange San Francisco to use instead.

However, I would not want to replace my iPad with anything else. It is truly magical and I want it to stay that way. What is wrong with Apple these days? It seems they used up all the remaining magic with the iPad and since then nothing works properly. The iPhone4 has been a farce, iOS4 another one and now it seems iOS4.2 is a third one.

Does anyone actually feel a few folders and a mute switch are worth the risk of a £600 paperweight? I already have a smaller £400 paperweight. :Angry:

(Incidentally, the £99 Android phone is very nice and the ability to change its software and looks so much are fun, but I still wish my iPhone worked) :(
I'm so glad that I didn't update this version...sucks how some apps require 4.2...but I LOVE KISSING CHICKENS..it's some apps.

It ain't worth getting update for few "special" features.
3.2 is the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.