An interesting question that needs an answer

Reaction score
Hey, Im not sure if this is possible because it sounds a bit crazy, but is it possible for a PC (windows) to use a macs dvd burner through the ethernet Lan cable, simply by plugging the two computers into each other? the reason being is that the PC does not have a dvd burner at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
I don't see this happening. For two reasons:

1) to my knowledge, the only ethernet / lan interfaces right now that work on the mac are HD access and Printer sharing, as well as a few other smaller things.

2) the way that your PC will send the information to the mac from your burning software will be in a different format than that which the mac sends information to the burner.

Why not just drop the information onto the mac, and THEN burn?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
And it looks nice and shiny :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Or there is this if you want an  on your dvd burner:
Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

But you'd have to open up and fiddle with the guts of the drive a little as shown here to make it work.
MacBook Air SuperDrive for all - a set on Flickr

Or there is a software only version of the hack so you can use it on a PC. And all you need for it to work is:
MacBook Air SuperDrive
A copy of the OS X Leopard Installation DVD released after the Air came out - I believe you need 10.5.4, or Bootcamp Drivers version 2.1.
a free USB socket and existing optical drive
Windows XP/Vista should work. 7/Server 2008 will probably work.
http://geeks.against.tv/applemacbookairsuperdriveonanypc

OP
L
Reaction score
york nga

Or there is this if you want an  on your dvd burner:
Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

But you'd have to open up and fiddle with the guts of the drive a little as shown here to make it work.
MacBook Air SuperDrive for all - a set on Flickr

Or there is a software only version of the hack so you can use it on a PC. And all you need for it to work is:
MacBook Air SuperDrive
A copy of the OS X Leopard Installation DVD released after the Air came out - I believe you need 10.5.4, or Bootcamp Drivers version 2.1.
a free USB socket and existing optical drive
Windows XP/Vista should work. 7/Server 2008 will probably work.
applemacbookairsuperdriveonanypc (www)

Thats alright, all I need is a Dvd drive for my PC, and I can get one and install it easy. Thanks anyway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.