Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz

Reaction score
Following my recent struggles with my old Macbook, I think it's time to buy a new comp. I was hoping someone here could recommend what would be best suited for my needs.

I basically use the computer for surfing the web and other normal daily activities. I watch movies on the computer quite a bit and also hook up my computer to my tv to watch movies and streaming events over the internet. I don't do any video editing or photo editing or anything really that is CPU intensive.

What Im confused about is if I really would need the upgraded video card in the 15" MBP. Is this necessary when all I will be doing is hooking up my computer to a tv or watching movies?

I would prefer to stay with the 13" but I don't want to regret not getting enough power.

I've also looked at getting a MBAir for the awesome battery power, but Im not really too familiar with them and Im pretty sure I want the Retina screen.

I had originally looked at getting an older model MBP because I wanted to be able to upgrade the Ram and HD but Im not sure Im really comfortable with buying used off of Ebay and there doesn't really seem to be any good deals in the Refurb section right now.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If retina is a requirement for you, then you have to stick with the rMBP's and the 13" indeed would do everything you want and more..

However, do check out the 13" MBA as a comparison point since it will do everything you want but doesn't have the Retina, but if you're going to connecting to the TV more often then that isn't going to be a problem for you..

OP
N
Reaction score
If retina is a requirement for you, then you have to stick with the rMBP's and the 13" indeed would do everything you want and more..

However, do check out the 13" MBA as a comparison point since it will do everything you want but doesn't have the Retina, but if you're going to connecting to the TV more often then that isn't going to be a problem for you..

So Im guessing, based on your reply, that the only people who would really need the upgraded video card are those who play games and/or do video editing? Is this true?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yeah, any application that requires heavy duty graphics support, games, video editing and CAD fall into that category would definitely benefit from the upgraded graphics card. That doesn't mean that you can't run those programs on the lower models, it's just that you won't get the same kind of performance..

On the other hand, watching movies and so on, the regular graphics card is fine for that..and even browsing the web..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The new MacBook Air 13" and 11" models have the latest Intel Graphics chipset built in; the HD 5000 which should provide very good performance for games and other programs like CAD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
From the computing activities you listed...a 13" MacBook Pro or 13" MacBook Air would be fine.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
myself i don't recommend other than the standard Macbook Pro. it has a lot of features which unavailable in the Retina. the new air looks cool but alos it shouldn't give performance like the pro's performance

OP
N
Reaction score
myself i don't recommend other than the standard Macbook Pro. it has a lot of features which unavailable in the Retina. the new air looks cool but alos it shouldn't give performance like the pro's performance

This is confusing to me. What features do the regular, non retina, macbook pros offer that the retina models do not?

If going with the 13" MBP Retina, would it beneficial to me to upgrade to the i7, or would that be a waste of money for what I would use it for?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If going with the 13" MBP Retina, would it beneficial to me to upgrade to the i7, or would that be a waste of money for what I would use it for?

You've already had recommendations for the entry level MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. Either of these computers will be fine for the activities you listed.

What you're REALLY paying for between the "regular" MacBook Pro's and the retina MacBook Pro's is the more expensive...higher resolution display.

If you carefully look at the graphics and cpu specs of the 13" MacBook Pro's and the 13" retina MacBook Pro's...you will see that the cpu and graphics specs are virually the same. Thus very similar "computing power".

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 to what Nick said and this:

The new MacBook Air has better graphics capability than the Retina machines do. The Retina machines have the Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU while the new MacBook Air machines have the Intel HD 5000 GPU which is twice as fast. Also, the MacBook Air has the new Intel Haswell chipset which in conjunction with a better battery will give you around 12 to 14 hours of use on the 13" model.

That's a "no brainer" choice to me. ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
+1 to what Nick said and this:

The new MacBook Air has better graphics capability than the Retina machines do. The Retina machines have the Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU while the new MacBook Air machines have the Intel HD 5000 GPU which is twice as fast. Also, the MacBook Air has the new Intel Haswell chipset which in conjunction with a better battery will give you around 12 to 14 hours of use on the 13" model.

That's a "no brainer" choice to me. ;)

If only the MBA came with a Retina screen, then it for sure would be a no brainer, lol. Of course, then Im sure that it wouldn't have to battery life that it does.

I've obviously never owned a Retina machine besides my iPhone, and the MBA is very enticing to me, I just feel like the Retina screen is something you "must" get. Im gonna go check them out and see if I could do without the Retina screen. If so, then Ill for sure go with the MBA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Following my recent struggles with my old Macbook, I think it's time to buy a new comp. I was hoping someone here could recommend what would be best suited for my needs.

I basically use the computer for surfing the web and other normal daily activities. I watch movies on the computer quite a bit and also hook up my computer to my tv to watch movies and streaming events over the internet. I don't do any video editing or photo editing or anything really that is CPU intensive.

What Im confused about is if I really would need the upgraded video card in the 15" MBP. Is this necessary when all I will be doing is hooking up my computer to a tv or watching movies?

I would prefer to stay with the 13" but I don't want to regret not getting enough power.

I've also looked at getting a MBAir for the awesome battery power, but Im not really too familiar with them and Im pretty sure I want the Retina screen.

I had originally looked at getting an older model MBP because I wanted to be able to upgrade the Ram and HD but Im not sure Im really comfortable with buying used off of Ebay and there doesn't really seem to be any good deals in the Refurb section right now.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Nowhere here have you mentioned the NEED to have it as a mobile platform ?? So if you don't need a mobile platform, why not go the Mac Mini as they have a LOT of Power now and it will be forever hooked up to your TV and then invest in a Apple BT KeyBoard and TrackPad and couple them together with a TwelveSouth Magic Wand ??

OP
N
Reaction score
Nowhere here have you mentioned the NEED to have it as a mobile platform ?? So if you don't need a mobile platform, why not go the Mac Mini as they have a LOT of Power now and it will be forever hooked up to your TV and then invest in a Apple BT KeyBoard and TrackPad and couple them together with a TwelveSouth Magic Wand ??

Sorry, I guess that was just implied by me asking advice on laptops. It definitely has to be mobile. I spend half of my life in hotel rooms, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sorry, I guess that was just implied by me asking advice on laptops. It definitely has to be mobile. I spend half of my life in hotel rooms, lol.

Many many people come on here asking advice just like you, and they always mention MB, MBA, MBP's without really thinking about it, or just because they are a nice looking machine, without implying if they need it for mobility or not. Once you explain it to them the power of the Mac Mini, they stop dead and start to think about what they really need, or want.
Because you where talking about portables, doesn't in any way imply you need one for mobility, and nowhere did you imply you travel, or live in hotel rooms ½ your life, so recommending a Mac Mini has its grounds.
But now you have said you need a mobile device, ill leave it at that, because the boys above me are doing a good job in explaining things and giving sound advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.