• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

NBA Commercial Effect (v.How??)

Reaction score
Program: Final Cut Express HD

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the new NBA Commerical.
If not, here's a Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evApapdysp0

The effect I'm looking for is more specified in the scene with Yao Ming scoring.
There are definitely two layers, where Yao Ming is one layer and is moving slightly faster than the background. (very very slow motion)

I'm looking forward to doing a short presentation using this effect.
Any tips you guys have out there that would make this attempt easier is much appreciated! Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
If I were to attempt to do it I would take the still photo (which these clips are... or they are stills taken from video) and I would use a select tool in GIMP (or photoshop). I would select the player and remove the rest of the picture make sure there is no background behind him so I could save it as a png.

Then I would make the lower layer of video the original picture and the higher level of video the "selected player" png. I'd then choose one of several ways to slow zoom the png of the player in (key framing etc...). He would have to cover what's left oh himself in the lower video layer or it would look weird.

There is also a blur effect on the lower layer of video. Sometimes this is done with the camera and sometimes with effects used in Photoshop/GIMP/FCE. It gives a nice effect that makes the player look sharper.

My poor man's tutorial... Now the real experts can help you.. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Sweet, yeah what you said makes a lot of sense, I'm going to try it out. I'll let you know how your strategy worked! :p

Thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
So I gave a shot out it using just Photoshop and FCE. I realized that After Effects would have made it turn out a lot sicker. but hey..when there's a will there's a way.
I don't know if mac-forums supports "youtube" links, but here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1fo_CIISvo

Thanks Thedspeth!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
Well done, my friend. I'm glad it worked for you! I'll have to check out "After Effects." I don't know anything about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.