help please

Reaction score
I bought a mini to hdmi attachment so I can watch my downloaded movies on my hd tv. I am able to get the picture on the tv but no sound, my question is should the sound go from the computer through the hdmi or do I need to run more cables thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I do not have the adapter, so I cannot answer that specifically. Did you get the official Apple branded adapter?

HDMI carries both the Audio and Video signals to from the source to the destination. Based on that, it may be the adapter is not sending the Audio signal. The quick workaround is to get a phono to component (L/R) cable and plug it into the audio jack on the computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a mini to hdmi attachment so I can watch my downloaded movies on my hd tv. I am able to get the picture on the tv but no sound, my question is should the sound go from the computer through the hdmi or do I need to run more cables thanks in advance

I believe that the video port only carries the video signal. Depending on what Mac-mini model you have, you may need to run a 2nd & separate cable for the audio.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
As long as the adapter supports audio. Then you need to go into sound under system preferences. select output and if your TV is recognized it will be an option fro output.

Trying to fins a screen shot(currently away from my mac)

mini-displayport-to-hdmi-sound-output.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Mac mini Ports & Connectors (Mid-2010, Macmini4,1, A1347, 2364) @ EveryMac.com

The link i have above was in the link from schweb. I found this particular website useful because it described every port on my iMac. As you can read in the first line of the descriptions it has the HDMI, and the Mini DP (w/ Audio).
Also ramimac is dead on I had to go to that exact same window and go under sound effects and check the desired boxes to send the audio to my HDTV.

So as long as the adapter you have supports audio you should be good, if you are concerned that it doesn't carry audio (it would help other more experienced members if you posted the adapter's specs) here is the link for the adaptor that I use and works fine I might add. No dl'ing any drivers or changing settings on my HDTV. THat could be different in your case though.

For only $5.32 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapters

HTH

tt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.