Can you use 5.1 speaker set-up within an iMac?

Reaction score
Hello:

I was at the apple store this past weekend, and was set on purchasing the intel iMac. But before I make the plunge, I just want to do a little more research.

Currently, I have a form factor PC. The sound card enables me to hook-up my 5.1 Logitech speakers (Z-5500). There is an input for the sub, center, rear, etc.

I noticed the iMac only has one 1/8" input jack. Is there a way to hook-up a 5.1 speaker system?

Thanks,

VJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The iMac G5 and the new Intel Core Duo iMac actually have an optical audio out; the headphone/miniplug jack works like a (plain old stereo) headphone jack when headphones are plugged in, but become an optical TOSLINK-style connector with the addition of an adaptor or cable kit. Connect that to a 5.1 speaker system with a TOSLINK-style input, and you're good to go.

OP
V
Reaction score
Still need help with this issue....

Thanks for responding to my post. The apple store employee actually showed me the cables you mentioned.

Unfortunately, my 5.1 speakers don't have an optical line. I checked behind the subwoofer (all cables plug into it), and I don't see an input for a optical line. My system has three lines which connect to the back of my computer (rear, center, subwoofer).

So is there any sort of cable/adapter to convert these three line to an optical line? Hard for me to believe that I'm only one with this issue. What speaker system are you using for your imac.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

VJ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.