Reformatting HD

Reaction score
i recently bought a g5 IMAC off of ebay but the computer is set up as a network computer and i didnt recieve any disks for it either. As the computer had been used before i really just want to wipe the whole hd and start a fresh as a standalone computer. Imy mate gave an os x disk that works with works with the computer but when i try to boot from it it says MAC OS C 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine.

I put it down to the disk is 10.4.6 and the computer is 10.4.10???

Any help on an easy way to wipe everything or getting hold of some disks that will work?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You have borrowed some grey coloured disks of your friend - right?

They will only work on his model and will not install on yours

You need what is called a retail copy of either Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5)

You should be able to get these off ebay, just make sure the disks you are buying are not grey coloured

Tiger disks

Leopard disks

OP
Banksy
Reaction score
The disk i got is off my mate was who a mac engineer and said that the disk is for all the aluminium g5 series but anyway mainly due to the update and your saying (not) the grey disks? looked at a few 10.4.10 disks but they are all the grey ones?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.