Second monitor works, but cant move to it or arrange

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Ive searched everywhere for a fix to this problem but cant find an answer. Im running an early 2009 iMac with Snow Leopard. I have a secondary monitor with DVI out that i adapt to a mini-display connector to my iMac. It has worked perfectly like this forever. Recently, i moved my HDTV into my room and have it hooked up to the same port (obviously just one monitor at a time) with an HDMI to mini display adapter. That works fine as well.

My problem is that ever since I have hooked up the HDTV to the iMac, if i want to unplug it and put the smaller DVI monitor back in, the monitor shows up perfectly, except i cant move my mouse to it, and in the system pref, the arrangement tab is there, but shows no monitors to arrange. I can chance the color and size of the second monitor if i bring it over to the iMac screen.

I assume this has something to do with having two monitors in the same port, but how do i fix it? Is there a proper way to run two extra monitors like this where i unplug one and plug the other when needed?

Thanks!

Adam

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the SMC first. If that doesn't help, try resetting the manufacturer's defaults for the monitor.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hmmm didnt seem to work.. no change. I have tried different combos of plugging it in while on or off, after unplugging the TV or after a restart without any monitors plugged, etc no dice.

monitors.png

Theres a screenshot of the two windows. The monitor is displaying the desktop just fine, just cant get to it and no monitors on Arrange. They show up fine with the HDTV plugged in.

Thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's strange. Everything looks normal except the monitors are not showing up... I suppose you tried clicking on the "detect displays" tab to see if that worked?

I notice your secondary display is a Samsung SyncMaster. I also have a SamSung SyncMaster secondary display that has given me trouble in the past. Try powering it down after resetting it back to "factory defaults" and leave it off for awhile. That might work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.