Gaming on a new iBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Wonder if any of you with new iBooks (the ones starting at 1ghz, with up to 1.25gbs of ram and 512kb L2 cache). I play a lot of games such as unreal tournament 2004, medal of honor, call of duty, warcraft 3, diablo 2, starcraft, etc. Just wondering if any of those games are playable on the 9200 32mb mobility card in the iBooks?

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I really don't see why not with the performance specs of the iBook :)

V

()verBored

You will run into a quadzillion different responses for this question. Before I purchased my iBook, I was curious as to what kind of performance I would get with a few games that I though would be good on the Notebook. Some people would say "works great", and yet others would say "laggy" still others "my iBook runs Far Cry at 45 FPS with 2xFSAA and 2xAA". Everyone tends to just say whatever the **** they want with it. Some peoples are flat out satisfied with choppy graphics and lagging framerates. I now have the 1 GHz iBook in my hand (I am typing this on it)....and while I can't talk about every game's framerate performance, I can tell you that you don't want to buy an iBook for gaming purposes! Of course, you shouldn't really buy any laptop if you are a mad gamer (unless you call those giant pieces of plastic that they sell in the Wintel world - those that weigh like 12 lbs or something! - laptops/notebooks!) But don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean the iBook can't do games! I installed Warcraft 3 on the thing, and so far it works beautiful with good framerates (I need to put a tool like FRAPS on this thing to get good numbers though - don't know of a similar tool for MAC though!), but then I installed the Command and Conquer: Generals Demo, and just found it to be excruciating slow on my system (I ran it at 800x600 rez with "low" as the setting!). Waiting for the first set of troopers you get in the training mission to run from point A to B was a test of patience! I haven't yet played a FPS style game yet (like UT). I have heard UT2003 runs ok, but I can't imagine UT2004 playing well on this machine, it just doesn't have the resources. I can tell you that the 12 inch's upgrade of processor speed helps significantly with graphics though. The 800 MHz version struggled with the installed Tony Hawk game, but this 1 GHz machine runs it pretty well (with graphical settings bumped down of course!).

This is just my opinion of course, I will be downloading other demos and such to satisfy my curiousity on this situation, but I find my biggest excitement comes from be able to play some of the older strategy games at very acceptable levels. Warcraft was a game I originally bought for my desktop PC when it first came out, but I just never played it! And the whole problem is not necessarily the lack of horsepower under the iBook's hood, but rather, the port from the PC world to the MAC. Warcraft 3 is a beautiful game, sporting just as much detail as the slightly newer C and C: Generals, but yet the former runs so much better. Perhaps this is because Blizzard actually made their disks with both installation mediums on board, so we have the quality of the original manufacturer thrown in. Anyways, this got much longer then expected, hope it helps a little!

T

TylerMoney

well, by what the specs say, you should be fine with running some games....I'd definelty suggest maxing out your ram though....that'll make everything better.

V

()verBored

Just played the Return To Castle Wolfenstein Demo....and I am pleased to report, it worked great! A few occasional framerate freezes, but not enough to keep it from being enjoyable. Oh, and I was able to run it at 1024x768 rez! I even turned on dynamic lighting (flickering torches and such). Looked pretty good, even though the game isn't the "latest and greatest". I wish I could find a NOLF2 demo to try it out, cause that game was pretty sweet on the PC!

Next up is Neverwinter Nights...and heck, I'll even download UT2004 to see how it runs :)

Maybe this iBook will surprise me after all. It's just that the dern Command and Conquer game ran so poorly.

As an off topic question...is the processor located underneath where your left hand sits on this thing? It gets dang toasty!!!! Anyways....

J

Joeytpg

and How does the POWERBOOKS run Games?

are they good?...i suppose they're better than ibook on this thing....

how bout powerbooks from gamming??????

T

TylerMoney

well, at this point...if you get the new updated powerbooks, yes, they'll be better for gameing...64mb vram...that'll help a lot...but if you have the ones from before the update..like me..eeerrrrr....it's about the same as the new ibooks.

U

Uni

i've got the 933mhz ibook and UT 2004 ran like crap, but most other games i've tried to run have worked brilliantley, C&C Generals for example. If u r a serious gamer, don't get the iBook, get the eMac of something with big power.

Uni/.

V

()verBored

Uni said:
i've got the 933mhz ibook and UT 2004 ran like crap, but most other games i've tried to run have worked brilliantley, C&C Generals for example. If u r a serious gamer, don't get the iBook, get the eMac of something with big power.

Uni/.

I'd like to know how you got CC: Generals to run "perfectly"...because I can't get it to be playable at all - everything it excrucuatingly slow...and I have a 1 GHz iBook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
()verBored said:
I'd like to know how you got CC: Generals to run "perfectly"...because I can't get it to be playable at all - everything it excrucuatingly slow...and I have a 1 GHz iBook...

I have the 1.2ghz iBook and it runs ut2004 and c&c genereals like crap ( 256mb ram though) :(

I hope more ram would help

V

()verBored

I bought No One Lives Forever 2, and it is running very well, even at 1024x768 rez with details bumped up! It freezes occasionally during play, but not yet enough to really hamper gameplay. I think that when the action picks up, i.e., lots of people onscreen, lots of explosions, etc, the machine may get way too choppy (I haven't experienced this yet though)....this problem most likely could be solved by bumping the rez down to 800x600, which would still be ok to play!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
As the game gets bigger maybe a bit more RAM... What do you do when the game freezes? Force quit?

N

nicholas

I have 2GB of RAM in my 1.5Ghz powerbook, along with the 128MB Radeon 9700. I can have max resolution and max detail set on C&C: Generals, and while it runs perfectly fine, it's far from smooth and seamless. That is, in comparison to my G5 system. The point being, like someone earlier said, even the top of the line powerbooks with maxed out everything are not the best gaming systems. Go desktop for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I now have 768mb RAM in my iBook, now UT, UT2004 and Quake3 all play awesome.. and demos of other games do too

OP
Mojo027
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Seriously? In UT2004, go in a deathmatch and then go:
tilda (button above tab, not sure if macs have it) --> stat fps.

What re your framerates?

N

nicholas

Graeme43 said:
I now have 768mb RAM in my iBook, now UT, UT2004 and Quake3 all play awesome.. and demos of other games do too

Just goes to show what is choppy and uplayable to some might be perfectly fine for others. It's all relative, I suppose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.