Migration assistant troubles!

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've just replaced my old windows XP PC with a mac mini and i love it.

However, I'm having a problem with the migration assistant, the mac see's the PC and attempts to connect to it, saying i need to put in a pass code on the PC. The PC continually says "waiting for connection from a mac"

I don't know if the problem is the mac or the PC!

Both have the fire walls off and file sharing ON. The Mac is on a wireless connection but the PC is on a wired connection. does this make a difference?

Someone please help me!!!:Shouting:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi guys!

I've just replaced my old windows XP PC with a mac mini and i love it.

However, I'm having a problem with the migration assistant, the mac see's the PC and attempts to connect to it, saying i need to put in a pass code on the PC. The PC continually says "waiting for connection from a mac"

I don't know if the problem is the mac or the PC!

Both have the fire walls off and file sharing ON. The Mac is on a wireless connection but the PC is on a wired connection. does this make a difference?

Someone please help me!!!:Shouting:

Are you following these steps?
OS X Lion: About Windows Migration Assistant

Reaction score
resolved the PC side of the problem

I had the Macbook finding the PC, but the PC never 'seeing' the Mac; no confirmation number would appear.

I disabled firewalls within my PC (control panel -> Windows Firewall -> Turn Firewall on or off), and restarted. It worked!

Reaction score
Migration and bookmarks

I had the Macbook finding the PC, but the PC never 'seeing' the Mac; no confirmation number would appear.

I disabled firewalls within my PC (control panel -> Windows Firewall -> Turn Firewall on or off), and restarted. It worked!

I've just tried to migrate the files on my iMac to my MacBook. Everything worked perfectly, the migration started and ran for nearly six hours before suddenly locking up - with 3 minutes left to go. The result? No files transferred, but the existing files on the MacBook deleted, and one very unhappy Mac user.

One thing I did want to achieve was copying the hundreds of bookmarks on my iMac, but that didn't happen either. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'd try the migration again if possible. Haven't used the Mac - PC migration but the Mac - Mac version does that from time to time and succeeds the second time around.

As far as the bookmarks are concerned which browser are you using. It should have a method for exporting the bookmarks. Safari and most other Mac browsers can read the commonly exported formats. The import command is typically found under the File menu.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have followed your advice over the bookmarks and transferred them successfully. Quite simple, once you're pointed in the right direction!

I should say that I wanted to migrate the contents of my iMac to the MacBook because, after three faultless years, the iMac has started playing up over the past week. It keeps locking up for no obvious reason, and I am often having to force a switch-off manually. So I thought I'd better save everything to the MacBook in case the iMac dies. However, since the failed migration the MacBook has also started playing up....:Angry:

Is there some kind of diagnostic/repair utility I could try, or might installing El Capitan help? (so far avoided due to reported problems).

I should add that my IT skills are limited to only the routine uses I make of it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Download and run OnyX for your Operating System (they are different for rack one) but first try running First Aid on the Macintosh HD from Disk Utility in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It is not a good idea to migrate data from an ailing computer unless you are sure your problem is hardware.
The best method is to repair the source first otherwise you are in danger of migrating your problem as well as everything else.
I suggest you try to repair your iMac first. If that can be done you can delete the files you migrated to your MacBook and if necessary migrate them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Wow - a very large batch of "Permissions repaired" on both the iMac and the MacBook. Let's hope all is now OK!

Many thanks,

Tony

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Make sure your files are backed up from your iMac. The problems you noted often indicate a failing hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.