Can't Search Iomega Hard Drive

MSK

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Sorry if I'm not. This is my first post on Mac Forums.

I have an Iomega external hard drive that I access wirelessly with my Apple airport. It's worked great but after 2 years I'm having my first issue with it.

When I go to Finder the Iomega hard drive is found and is listed in the side bar, I open it and all of my files are there and accessible. So that's the good news. The problem is that I can no longer search the hard drive. I have over 1,200 sub folders in just one folder alone and those sub folders each contain hundreds of graphics. Obviously when I need to find something specific I can't always remember where to look so I just search the name of what I'm looking for. Now when I try to search it doesn't attempt to and says "0 items" at the bottom of the Finder screen. Even though I know there are files it should be finding.

Anything I can do to fix this? Do I need a new hard drive? Can I somehow reset the Iomega without losing my data?

I have unplugged the hard drive from the airport, then unplugged the airport from power source for a minute or so and put it all back together and nothing.

Thank you!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're playing with fire.... With that many sub folders and categories, graphics, etc, you need a backup drive. Perhaps several. If that iOmega crashes you're going to be out big $$ trying to recover. The first thing I recommend is make a good backup.

Next, get a different search program. Spotlight does work but it's not the best for searching deep in folders.

EasyFind for Mac

Find Any File for Mac

Both of the above are free and work well.

OP
M

MSK

Reaction score
You're playing with fire.... With that many sub folders and categories, graphics, etc, you need a backup drive. Perhaps several. If that iOmega crashes you're going to be out big $$ trying to recover. The first thing I recommend is make a good backup.

Next, get a different search program. Spotlight does work but it's not the best for searching deep in folders.

EasyFind for Mac

Find Any File for Mac

Both of the above are free and work well.

Thank you! I do have it backed up. I just need a way to search my folders. I'll check into the two you listed. Thanks for the tips.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.