Cinema Display Aluminum Cracked LCD

Reaction score
First of all, i've been a long time lurker with the mac-forums, and always seemed to have found my answer by searching, but this one i can't seem to find the answer.

I have had a string of bad luck with my Cinema displays, not all my fault... I have 3 displays, 2 20" and a 23". My 20" was dropped and now is all distored with green lines all over the screen, and other 20" has a cracked LCD from someone, not myself, placing a heaving object on it, while it was being moved, and my 23" just cracked... no excuse.

A while back when i was looking at replacing the LCD's i ran accross an article somewhere saying that someone other then Apple used the same LCD in their Monitors, I think it was dell maybe. I'm trying to find out if there are any other LCD screens that are compatible with the Cinema Displays that can be swapped in.

On a side note, if any one knows how to get rid of all the green lines on my other 20" that would be much appreciated .;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A while back when i was looking at replacing the LCD's i ran accross an article somewhere saying that someone other then Apple used the same LCD in their Monitors, I think it was dell maybe. I'm trying to find out if there are any other LCD screens that are compatible with the Cinema Displays that can be swapped in.

I'm not sure if this will be of much help...but Apple usually uses more expensive IPS panels in their monitors. IPS panels are better when it comes to picture quality, color accuracy, and viewing angles...but are not the best at response time.

Many other LCD manufacturers use TFT display panels...which are less expensive, aren't quite as good as IPS panels when it comes to picture quality & viewing angles...but are better when it comes to response time.

So basically what I'm trying to say is...if you're looking for a replacement panel for your broken display's...the first thing to look for is the type of LCD panel used...in this case...IPS panels.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, After much research i did find a couple things out. The 20" Aluminum Cinema Display shares the same LCD Screen as the G5 iMac. The LCD screen is a LM201W01 (A6)(K1). The iMac seems to have used a copule different models of that LCD screen, but should be interchangable. I'm not sure if the (A5)(K1) will work, or about any of the others. I just ordered a used LCD screen from Ebay, and hopefully will swap it in and see if it works. I alot of searching around and found some of the 20" have the (A5)(K1), but i won't know for sure if both of my monitors have the same LCD's untill i crack the other one open. I'm going to wait to see how this first one turns out and then post from there. The LM201W01 was also put into a couple other monitors:

Dell 2005FPW - LG.Philips S-IPS LM201W01
Dell 2007FP - LG.Philips LM201W01 or LM201U05-SLA1/SLA2 - Serial Number ending with "L" = S-IPS panel
Dell 2007WFP - LG.Philips LM201W01-SLC1/SLC2 - Serial Number ending with "L" = S-IPS panel.

I also found that the 23" Cinema display shares the the same LCD screen as alot of other LCD's. the problem is finding them. I ahven't verified if they have different models like the 20" but i'm bound to find out. Here is a quick list that i was able to dig up.

ViewSonic VP231wb (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

Philips 230W5BS (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

Sony SDM-P234 (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

Sony SDM-P234B (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

LG L2300B (widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

LG L2300C (widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

HP L2335 (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

BenQ FP231W (widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

Apple M9178 (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

If anyone is interested in a quick tear down, and rebuild of the LCD's i am more then happy to post pictures, and step by step if this works.

OP
B
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS! I was able to get one of my monitors swapped out. I picked up from a local guy two G5 Imacs. One with ALS, and one without. The ALS Monitor is the same one that is in the Apple CInema Display. Spent 90 bucks on two iMacs, and have a 250 monitor working. And i spent 85 buks on a second LCD screen that should be here tomorrow.
So... with time and money you can fix the LCD Screens in the 20" Apple Ciname display. So far this is what it has cost me:
1 Broken 20" Display: 0.00
1 Broken 20" Display: 60.00
1 Power Brick: 30.00
2 20" imacs: 90.00
1 lcd from imac: 85.00
------------------------
$265.00 - for two 20" displays. Not bad....

Reaction score
Hi ,
Im facing the same problem with my 20 Aliminium Cinema display. It has a cracked LCD Screen. Could you please help in replacing the LCD Screen. Planning to buy a replacement LCD from ebay.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi ,
Im facing the same problem with my 20 Aliminium Cinema display. It has a cracked LCD Screen. Could you please help in replacing the LCD Screen. Planning to buy a replacement LCD from ebay.

What sort of help are you looking for?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.