MacBook Pro & Heat - Before I pull the trigger...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" matte screen MBP 2.6GHz - 7200RPM 200G
Hi Folks..

Another n00b here - coming out of lurk mode...

After many (read - I've been MS-Wintel since 1982) years I am finally about ready to pull the trigger on a MBP.

I'm techincally competent (built my own Altair 8080 kit in 1976) and am well aware of how semi-conductors / vlsi's and lsi's function under pressure (heat)..

I would like to find out just how hot the MBP 17" really gets to the user.
I'm looking at the new 2.6gHz model with the 200GB 7200 RPM HDD 4GB memory.
I'm wondering if anyone has any real-world stats on the temperature of the case (keyboard area) when sitting on a flat surface and working itself pretty hard.

We used to launch the sieve of eratosthenes on a platform to really work it.. Now - I would presume it's some sort of game that would be used..

Now you may ask - what would my intended uses be?

Video / Music / Graphics processing and the normal Word Processing, Email, Spreadsheets that I would most likely load un in XP Pro under something like VMWare or Parallels in order to maintain consistency with the rest of the corporate world I work in..

Your thoughts are appreciated - I'm sure I'll have many more questions..

Thanks for the bandwidth!

Regards - Randy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
The top case around the wrist rest does not usually get more than warm to the touch. The upper left hand corner of the case on my machine (above the keyboard) has reached a measured 130*F, which is too hot to keep your hand on without some discomfort.

Also, I suggest you get AppleCare; as you know, heat isn't good for the machine. Given how expensive they are to fix, it's a good investment... one cooked logic board or one dead screen is all it takes for AppleCare to pay for itself 2-3x over, or more.

OP
Big-Foot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Geeky1 - Thanks for that informative response..
130f is some pretty serious heat..
I typically use my laptops on a lapdesk so I have some insulation and soft surface against my legs. I spend at least 4 hours a day on my laptop so this persistent heat might well be more than I would be willing to deal with..
My current laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5150 with P4 3.2gHz HT. It does get warm but has never gotten what I would call hot. It does have a variable speed fan in it that really does get loud when I'm pushing the machine hard..

AppleCare would be a given if I decide to buy...

Thanks again!

Regards - Randy "Back on the fence for now..."...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
There are a number of notebook coolers out there that can keep the case temperatures more-or-less under control.

On the other hand, there's little that can be done (nothing, if you want to keep your warranty) for the actual CPU temperature (which, by the way, can top 90*C in a lot of machines when running flat out), if that bothers you. I have a theory as to why they get this hot that I'll throw up if you'd like, but it's not really important. Bottom line is that it does and there's nothing you can do about it except buy AppleCare.

OP
Big-Foot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Geeky1...
I'll probably be buying a cooler platform for it. Would be nice to have one that runs solely from USB power so I would only have one power cord dangling from the laptop when it's actually on my lap..

Reaction score
I had the same exact question. My macbook pro gets hott in the same places listed above. I was starting to worry but glad that i'm not the only one with the same problem lol.

I switched from a dell xps which was cool to the touch so wasn't use to the new heat.

Is there any recommended coolers or anything that would allow me to keep my macbook cool and allow me to use it on my lap without burning the skin off my legs? ;) Also it's important that whats separating the macbook from my lap is comfortable and not some heavy thing that is more bothersome then helpful.

OP
Big-Foot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I currently use a Lap Desk like the one pictured here;

MA13130.jpg

Available at Barnes & Noble for under $20

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.asp?WRD=lap+desk&z=y&TYP=H

I'll put the cooler on top of the lap desk and the MBP on top of that... That is - if I still end up buying the MBP... Still on the fence...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.