Is it my mac, or is it just YouTube?

Reaction score
I had posted about youtube in here before and I still do not understand why I am having a problem with youtube. Whenever I load a video, I cannot load the whole video. Instead, I am only limited to view a few seconds or minutes of the video. I tried viewing videos on Youtube on my sister's macbook and it worked well. But in my iMac, I get the same issues until now. I can load videos in any sites except youtube. This really worries and saddens me. I do not know where the problem is coming from. Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Instead, I am only limited to view a few seconds or minutes of the video.

By this, do you mean it will only load part of the video, then you start getting the little "buffering wheel" and it will not go any farther? How about the grey loading bar, does that get stuck as well?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also could you please post your specs of your iMac? Model, CPU speed, RAM, ETC. Also what version of OSX is installed and what web browser are you using?

How are you connected to the Internet?

OP
M
Reaction score
By this, do you mean it will only load part of the video, then you start getting the little "buffering wheel" and it will not go any farther? How about the grey loading bar, does that get stuck as well?
For example, the video length is 6 minutes. It will buffer for a couple of seconds then the video length suddenly changes to 40 seconds. The gray loading bar is then shown full and the video will play. I only get to see the 40-second part of the video and it will end just like a normal video. Without the buffering wheel showing. Or sometimes the site gets stuck like I cannot scroll it up and down and the other tabs on my browser are affected as well so I end up closing Youtube site tab. :(

OP
M
Reaction score
Also could you please post your specs of your iMac? Model, CPU speed, RAM, ETC. Also what version of OSX is installed and what web browser are you using?

How are you connected to the Internet?
Here,

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

I'm using Safari and I am connected through wifi at home.

I hope this is helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Hold down your Option Key and click on your wireless icon in the menu bar then post your RSSI number Transmit Rate and MCS Index this will help rule out a wi-fi issue also you could compare the numbers to your sisters.
Also in the menu bar in Help for Safari compare the installed plug-ins to your Sister's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
For example, the video length is 6 minutes. It will buffer for a couple of seconds then the video length suddenly changes to 40 seconds. The gray loading bar is then shown full and the video will play. I only get to see the 40-second part of the video and it will end just like a normal video. Without the buffering wheel showing. Or sometimes the site gets stuck like I cannot scroll it up and down and the other tabs on my browser are affected as well so I end up closing Youtube site tab. :(

That's really weird...

Anyway, what browser are you using for youtube? Have your tried any different browsers? And are you sure your flash player is up to date?

You could also try changing the quality of the video, sometimes I find that helps when a video is being picky about playing fully.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yup, my flash player is up to date. I tried using another browser. I visited Youtube website using Google Chrome and it's all fine now. Thank you! Perhaps, Safari is the one that has issues. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.