just bought a used imac g5 isight 2.16

Reaction score
with 1 gig of ram
from dvwarehouse.com
at first everything seemed great, then i noticed this weird pixelated line across part of the screen. ok. whatever. maybe just need more ram.
THEN, the computer froze (everything except the mouse) while i tried to do a few things at once. then, it happened again. it has happened about 10 times now, and the last time it happened my entire screen went black. what the **** is going on? have i been ripped off?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I would go back to the seller especially if you just purchased it. I assume there is some sort of return policy for damaged goods.

Did you get any kind of guarantee or warranty?

OP
J
Reaction score
well yeah i mean i guess i could return it, but i want to make sure this problem isn't just an issue of needing more ram or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
RAM won't cause a pixelated line to appear across your screen.

Send it back.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There should be no reason to buy a product from a company/store and be expected to fix it shortly after getting it. If you can return it or have them fix it, do it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
well yeah i mean i guess i could return it, but i want to make sure this problem isn't just an issue of needing more ram or something.

"well yeah i mean i guess i could return it..."

This is a no-brainer...you just bought it, it's broke, return it!!!

How much simpler can it be???

- Nick

p.s. Of course returns are a hassle...but it's better than having an expensive doorstop! Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1226 w/4Gb of RAM
I'm voting bad capacitors.

OP
J
Reaction score
"well yeah i mean i guess i could return it..."

This is a no-brainer...you just bought it, it's broke, return it!!!

How much simpler can it be???

- Nick

p.s. Of course returns are a hassle...but it's better than having an expensive doorstop! Good luck.

because it's going to be a HUGE pain in the *** to ship it 3000 miles back to where i bought it from, and...um...i sort of don't have the original packaging anymore.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
because it's going to be a HUGE pain in the *** to ship it 3000 miles back to where i bought it from, and...um...i sort of don't have the original packaging anymore.

Yes it's going to be a BIG PAIN IN THE A**! But what else are you going to do!

If the computer is truly defective...then returning it is the way to go. The seller should pay for the return shipping on a defective unit...and as far as packaging...well you just gotta search for a box & some packing "peanuts".

The 3000 miles doesn't matter...100 miles or 3000 same difference (seller should be paying for the shipping)!

By the way, I don't think that you mentioned how long you have had this computer since you purchased it?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.