Restore from Super Duper Image and Disk Utility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I created a backup image from super duper onto my external USB drive. I installed my new HDD and restored it using the restore DVD's. So right now i have a fresh system. If i open disk utility and select restore, drag the image file (backup.sparseimage) to the source area it lists it. However when I try to drag the Macintosh HD to the Destination area it doesn't list it and I can't restore. Has anyone tried this and can help me out? I've been reading the Super Duper help file and i am doing what is asks but doesnt seem to be working. Also, if i double click the backup.sparseimage it mounts it and i can see my applications folder, etc. If worse comes to worse can i just drag and drop my folders to the necessary places? If I do copy the folder over can i just do a copy and paste from the mounted backup image to the Macintosh HD since the file structure looks the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can't restore the system onto the drive that you've currently booted off.

So here's one way of doing it:
Pop in your system discs and boot off them holding down 'c'.

Then select 'Tools' from the menu bar that shows up at the top and select Disk utility.

Select your internal drive's partition from the list and select 'restore'. Drag the backup partition of your external drive into the 'source' field and drag your internal partition into the 'destination' field.

Make sure the 'erase destination' box is checked (make copies of any new files on the internal drive first) and wait for it to copy.

Then quit the installer, reboot off your internal drive and you should be set.

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On my external drive i only have an image of the backup (and it wont allow me to select it). Should i mount the backup and copy it to the external drive and do it that way? Or will i need to put my old internal drive back in and make the external a partition with the backup?

Sorry for the questions. I am trying to do this on my own but i'm a little stuck. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to select open disk image from the disk image file menu. Then select the .dmg and mount it.

Then select it and drag it to the source menu.

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I renamed the image with a .DMG extension. When i used the restore DVD to boot i was able to select it as an image to restore from using disk utility. However i couldn't drag my Macintosh HD to the target. So what i did was use Super duper to create another backup to my external drive as a partition and not a file. I then held down the option key to boot from the USB drive. I then opened disk utility and i dragged the USB external partition to the source and then dragged the Macintosh HD to the target selected erase destination and then restore. its doing it now so i will report back once its done.

Thanks for your help.

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The restore completed and evertyhing seems to be working except certain programs say "The volume Macintosh HD is not attached or mounted." I've been trying various commands in terminal but nothing seems to be working. any ideas what i did wrong?

Also, when i boot up when the desktop comes on i notice a bouncing circle with a key inside for a split second then it disappears.

Edit: I got it working. nothing was wrong with the mount. Super Duper was, i guess, looking for the original drive and it gave me the error that i needed to mount or attach Macintosh HD. I went back into the program, re selected Macintosh HD (the new drive) and all is well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent! That's another way to do it then... :) (I always forget the intel macs can boot off USB drives as well..).

Glad we got it sorted!

Reaction score
Delete partition.

Hello.
I read your article on mac-forum.
Could you help me to solve some problems?

I bought MacBook recently. It has HDD with 2 partition. I do not like partitions on disc (it cause lot of small problems).
Could you advice me how to delete one partition?
What should I do? Beside this MacBook I have IBM laptop and G4.

Thank you in advance for help

Rgds
Daniel

You can't restore the system onto the drive that you've currently booted off.

So here's one way of doing it:
Pop in your system discs and boot off them holding down 'c'.

Then select 'Tools' from the menu bar that shows up at the top and select Disk utility.

Select your internal drive's partition from the list and select 'restore'. Drag the backup partition of your external drive into the 'source' field and drag your internal partition into the 'destination' field.

Make sure the 'erase destination' box is checked (make copies of any new files on the internal drive first) and wait for it to copy.

Then quit the installer, reboot off your internal drive and you should be set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.