Reboot screen at startup

Reaction score
Everything was working fine. Now, everytime I try to "restart" my powerbook I get a screen that says I need to restart. It is running Leopard.
Anyone have any suggestions?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, oskiew.

When you say you get a restart screen, is this the one you mean ?

If so, you are experiencing a kernel panic.

Usually these are caused by hardware like RAM going bad but there are other possibilities as well. You can check this article out to determine what could cause this.

Here's a rundown for older OS X versions in case anybody else needs the info.

OP
O
Reaction score
when I hit apple-S at startup, I get: (along with some other things I don't think are imprtant)
BSD root: disk0s10, major 14, minor 9
jnl: unnown dev.
journal magic is bad
failed to open/create journal

kernal version Darwin 9.2.0 root xnu.1228.3.13-1/release_ppc

M

MacHeadCase

Can you pop in your install disk in the optical drive, restart holding down the C key ? Before choosing to reinstall OS X, in the menubar there should be something having to do with Disk Utility... Click on it and choose to repair the hard drive and see if that doesn't fix it.

OP
O
Reaction score
I got the powerbook used a few weeks ago. It did not come with a Leopard disk. I have a OSX3 install disk that I tried to boot from, and it will not. I even held down C at startup. Still the same "restart your computer" screen. The only command I can do is apple-s at startup. Still getting the same text.
I read something about this...
Should I boot with a firewire cable from my Ibook G3 and run disk repair from that? If so, how do I do that?

M

MacHeadCase

You've got nothing left to lose, so try it.

Target Disk mode.

You could even use this method to reinstall the operating system on the PowerBook if you see you can repair from the iBook.

If you go ahead and install in Target Disk mode, just make sure the OS X disk you have for it has a black label on it : if it's grey and didn't come initially with the PowerBook, it won't work as these are hardware specific.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.