airport error - tried for 6 hours to join wireless

kb1

Reaction score
Massive problem - been on the phone for 6 hours to Verizon, then to Dlink, then back to Verizon, back to dlink, 2 more times each, 6 hours total - I have a westel 6500 modem from Verizon, I have a new dlink xtreme N wireless router - DIR-655...I have mac OS X4.11, airport - powerbook G4

Through it all, it seems that the dlink and Verizon modem will connect through ethernet cable, and the router sends out a signal, Airport picks up my wireless name/network but when I try to join it, airport always gives me error message, saying there was an error trying to join, and that's all it says...

HELP!!!

Frustrating with a capital F

Thanks

K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I feel your pain..:Shouting: (been there before)
Can you check the logs in Console? (applications/utilities) It may be more descriptive...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To use that Westel modem with your external Dlink router, the Westel has to be set for Bridged mode. Otherwise you are running 2 routers. From my searching in Google that Westel 6500 it's a Modem/router.

This URL will help if that is your issue.

http://www.voipmechanic.com/westelltobridge.htm

OP
K

kb1

Reaction score
Thank you both for your help - I am going to try the westel instructions right now - I told this to Verizon, about the bridged business, but they said doesn't matter! I will try...

and report back - thanks

K

OP
K

kb1

Reaction score
No go - hour on phone with Verizon, tried the above web link - sending this dlink router back, not because it doesn't work, but it simply will not work with my airport - guess I'm going wired...

K

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.