External HD FS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
I currently own a 500GB Western Digital MyBook Premium external HD. I am planning to buy a MBP very soon. I currently have the drive formatted for NTFS I know Mac can read this FS but not write to it. I would like (but don't require) this HD to work on both Mac and PC, I would format it for FAT32 but I know that I can only have 32GB partitions and that files can only be a max of 4GB... that just doesn't work for me. Is there any way to have the drive work on both a Mac and PC and have normal file sizes allowed? I guess I'm asking what my options for formatting this drive are and what the benefits of each FS are? If anybody could offer me assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Format it as FAT-32 on the Mac vice the PC. Yes, the Mac can do that and the partition size doesn't apply. The file size limit still does though. Otherwise just format it as HFS+ and use it on the Mac only.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I could not deal with the file size limitation. Have formatted my external with HFS+ and bought MacDrive for the windows side. It gives XP full read and write capability to HFS+ partitions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.