iMac G5 Ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
Ive got one of the first iMac G5's, its a 1.8ghz with 256mb Ram.
Basically its getting annoying when trying to run a couple of programs at once especially if one is itunes (beachball was cute at first but not now).

Im thinking of sticking some ram in it and have been looking at a 1gig card, how much difference is this likely to make. I dont want to do it if it is barely noticable.

Should I go for it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
oh from 256 to 1gb you will notice a huuuuge speed increase. Theres a reason apple has put defaults on the middle to higher machines at 1gb (and 512 at the base), because no machine should have less than 512

N

NTL1991

I agree, 256MB is just too small for you, especially when multi-tasking. You will notice a HUGE increase in speed, response, etc. in your computer. I'd definitely go for it!

Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think thats convinced me then.
This will be my first ever improvement to a machine.
All my PC's either got virused beyond repair or killed in a blind c:/ induced rage.

1gb it is.

I will let you know what I think once its done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the same model iMac that you have with 1gb of ram and have no problems running multiple programs at once (Camino, Thunderbird, AdiumX, iTunes and photoshop are almost always running

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes and Safari tend to slow it if I go anymore than that then its beachball. Try running two Safari windows and iTunes or iPhoto with iTunes and iWeb and its done.

Is it as easy to change as it looks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very easy, loosen the screws on the botom, pop off the cover, pop in the ram, turn back on

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do I need to bother earthing myself first or is that a thing of the past?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
davetheblaze said:
Do I need to bother earthing myself first or is that a thing of the past?
Grounding yourself is something you should always do when working inside of a computer. When you pop off the case just touch the power supply (I think it shows you this in the upgrade manual)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I dont need one of those bracelets where I have to be hooked upto earth all the time.

I read somewhere that turning it off but leaving the power cable plugged in works well, is this right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope you don't need the bracelet and definitely do not leave the power cable plugged into the wall.

N

NTL1991

davetheblaze said:
So I dont need one of those bracelets where I have to be hooked upto earth all the time.

I read somewhere that turning it off but leaving the power cable plugged in works well, is this right?

Some Newer Power Supplies (at least for PCs) have a switch on the back to turn the main power off and some manuals tell you to plug it in, but turn to switch off so the computer is grounded.

I just unplug it fully and then push the power button to discharge the stored electricity, then just make sure you don't walk around alot (or at all) when doing it because it reduces the static buildup on your body which can damage the parts if it is released. Just touch the metal every so often and you'll be fine.

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.