Is new Windows Ipod USB 1.1 backwards compatable ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I was under the impression that USB2 is in itself backwards compatible. It says in the ipod user guide that if you have a pc you can use either (if I remember correctly) but since usb 1 is so slow you're better upgrading. Instead of taking a few seconds to copy a couple of albums over, it'll take hours.

Invest in a usb2 or firewire card, it'll be worth your while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i believe what it is is that USB 1.1 products will work on a USB 2.0 card just at USB 1.1 speeds. I do not believe products that are made for USB 2.0 will work down to 1.1

OP
B

bongojona

Thanks for the info.

What I would like to confirm is if you can or cannot use the new ipods with only USB 1.1 I realise this will be very slow.

I thought the first ipods were usable (although not officially supported) via Windows thanks to some creative software. I am assuming they supported firewire only -no USB ?

Perhaps if someone who has a new ipod and a pc with only USB 1.1 could tell us if it works ?

ta

Bongo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bongojona said:
Thanks for the info.

What I would like to confirm is if you can or cannot use the new ipods with only USB 1.1 I realise this will be very slow.

I thought the first ipods were usable (although not officially supported) via Windows thanks to some creative software. I am assuming they supported firewire only -no USB ?

Perhaps if someone who has a new ipod and a pc with only USB 1.1 could tell us if it works ?

ta

Bongo

This is straight from apples ipod tech specs

"PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.04, or Windows-certified FireWire or USB 2.0 card"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
This is from my iPod user guide. Granted, its a 3g 15GB model so the updated ones may or may not have different requirements:
"To use iPod with a Windows PC, you must have the following:
A built-in or windows-certified FireWire card (IEEE 1394) installed, or a usb 1.1 or USB 2.0 port and the optional iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0 + FireWire Cable
..."

OP
S

shymog

Yes, as muso mentioned, the iPod will work with USB 1.1. It's a simple fact of life ... devices designed to work with USB 2.0.4 will work with USB 1.1, just at slower speeds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.