Specify Apple hardware diagnostic tests?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking for either an alternative to the Apple Hardware boot diagnostics, or a way to specify what I want to test. It typically tests everything, but there are times when I just want to test the hard drive, or memory, etc. Is there a way to do this or an application I can boot from a disk that will?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Computer diagnostic software is generally only necessary when there actually is a problem. And if there is a problem..you know it. You just may not know what the exact problem it is. If the computer is working fine…we don't need diagnostic software. Also…with the way Apple computers are manufactured…there are very few replaceable parts internally (and even less on most MacBook Pro's, MacBook Air's, and iMac's made in the last 2+ years).

Three big/common areas for problems are:

- the ram
- the storage (HD or SSD)
- the logic board

* If the problem is ram related…and it's an older computer…then we just replace the ram.
* If the problem is the storage (HD or SSD)…and it's an older model…then we just replace the HD or SSD.
* If the problem is logic board related (which can be many)…then in MANY cases we sell the computer for parts. Because in many cases…it's too expensive to replace the logic board.

Bottom line. Unless I'm forgetting about something…there really isn't any consumer-level diagnostic software available to us individual users. I'm pretty sure only Apple has the diagnostic software you're looking for.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well bascotie you do have to supply vital information. What computer and what operating system? You can check out nthe hard drive by booting from the system install DVD or for later O.S. by running Command R (Recovery) and checking out the drive that way. Use the system DVD for Snow Leopard OS X.6 and earlier, Recovery for OS X.7 and later. Apple Hardware Test is on the former install DVD and the latter by booting into AHT, Option D at boot.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks guys. In general, I repair many types of macs (I'm a computer repairman).

Sometimes, for example, I have a very good hint it's OS or hard drive related so I only want to test the hard drive (which removing a hard drive from an iMac consumes more time).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still can't help with no information alas. Use the disc that came with the computer OS X.6 and earlier, Recovery OS X.7 and later.

Apple techs should know this?

OP
B
Reaction score
2011 iMac 21" as an example

EDIT: iMac's are the bigger deal since laptops are pretty simple to take hard drives out of.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys. In general, I repair many types of macs (I'm a computer repairman).

I was sort of wondering if this was a possibility.;) I can see why you might be interested in diagnostic software.

But...there's always a "but" right??;) In a lot of cases (if the computer is not operational)...you won't even be able to run diagnostic software. Also...like I mentioned above (and I'm sure you must be aware)...as far as common problems...there really isn't a lot of parts we can replace in most Mac's. And most problems come down to:

- ram
- storage (HD or SSD)
- logic board

Of course there can be display issues, power supply issues, trackpad issues, keyboard issues...etc. But these are not as common.

I think that for a non-Apple person who does Apple repairs...you really have to rely on your experience (computer is or is not doing something...then the problem most likely is...).

We do this sort of thing here on Mac-Forums all the time (troubleshoot folks computers without even seeing them)!:)

- Get feedback from the owner what a computer is or isn't doing.
- Determine if it is more likely software or hardware.
- If software based...many times booting the computer from a known good HD (with a compatible OS on it for the computer)...will solve the problem (owners OS install is messed up...or has something installed that is causing the issue).
- If hardware. See if the problem is related to something that can be replaced (or if financially it is worth replacing).

I've been to the Apple store many times...with issues that the Apples folks need to run their diagnostic software. I'm not 100% convinced that this software actually pin-points exactly what's wrong. But that it more narrows things down to what is most likely wrong (which isn't quite the same thing).

This means that some tech. person needs to swap out the most likely part that is bad (with a known good part)...then see if the problem is solved. Maybe it's solved...maybe it isn't. Futher trouble-shooting may be needed.

This is pretty much what we non-Apple folks do. Use our experience (without special Apple diagnostic software)...and we get a pretty good idea what is wrong. If it's hardware...we swap out the part..and see if the problem is fixed.

It would really be nice if we (average users) did have access to the special Apple diagnostic software:)...but then if we did...then we could call ourselves "Genius" too!!!:);)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT: iMac's are the bigger deal since laptops are pretty simple to take hard drives out of.

Yes...newer iMac's are a pain in the butt. And iMac's in the 2009-2011 timeframe have "special" HD issue's that make it more difficult than necessary.

We basically have to rely on websites like ifixit.com for assembly/disassembly procedures...and various parts websites (and eBay) for replacement parts (unless you have a professional avenue to get parts).

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I was sort of wondering if this was a possibility.;) I can see why you might be interested in diagnostic software.

But...there's always a "but" right??;) In a lot of cases (if the computer is not operational)...you won't even be able to run diagnostic software. Also...like I mentioned above (and I'm sure you must be aware)...as far as common problems...there really isn't a lot of parts we can replace in most Mac's. And most problems come down to:

- ram
- storage (HD or SSD)
- logic board

Of course there can be display issues, power supply issues, trackpad issues, keyboard issues...etc. But these are not as common.

I think that for a non-Apple person who does Apple repairs...you really have to rely on your experience (computer is or is not doing something...then the problem most likely is...).

We do this sort of thing here on Mac-Forums all the time (troubleshoot folks computers without even seeing it)!:)

- Get feedback from the owner what a computer is or isn't doing.
- Determine if it is more likely software or hardware.
- If software based...many times booting the computer from a known good HD (with a compatible OS on it for the computer)...will solve the problem (owners OS install is messed up...or has something installed that is causing the issue).
- If hardware. See if the problem is related to something that can be replaced (or if financially it is worth replacing).

I've been to the Apple store many times...with issues that the Apples folks need to run their diagnostic software. I'm not 100% convinced that this software actually pin-points exactly what's wrong. But that it more narrows things down to what is most likely wrong (which isn't quite the same thing).

This means that some tech. person needs to swap out the most likely part that is bad (with a known good part)...then see if the problem is solved. Maybe it's solved...maybe it isn't. Futher trouble-shooting is needed.

This is pretty much what we non-Apple folks do. Use our experience (without special Apple diagnostic software)...we get a pretty good idea what is wrong. If it's hardware...we swap out the part..and see if the problem is fixed.

It would really be nice if we (average users) did have access to the special Apple diagnostic software:)...but then if we did...then we could call ourselves "Genius" too!!!:);)

- Nick

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there was something aftermarket or something that I could use.

Here is a typical scenario for me:

iMac stuck at apple logo then a white screen and will not boot.

I run AHT FULL test and it comes back clean.

I run a repair and permissions check and it still wont boot.

I take the hard drive, mount it on my PC and use HD Tune to do a full scan for errors. Sometimes it turns out the drive was bad, and sometimes the drive comes back clean so it just needs an OS reinstall with data backup.

Would be nice if there was some kind of aftermarket software (like Hiren's boot cd for Windows) that allows you to boot into a 'safe mode', transfer data off the drive, test, etc without having to disassemble the imac to get the drive out and test it.

I figured I would at least ask... thanks guys :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there was something aftermarket or something that I could use.

I figured I would at least ask... thanks guys :)

I hear ya...nothing wrong with asking (you never know).:)

The one thing to always keep in mind with Apple/Mac computers...it's a "single supplier world" (Apple is the only supplier). And as a single supplier...they (as much as possible)...want the customer to come to them with questions, problems, and repairs.

So Apple doesn't make it easy for any software developer to write Mac diagnostic software. Plus...unlike the Windows computer world...Macintosh computers really cannot (and are not) "built" by users.

This means that the percent of Mac user's that are "tinkerer's" is far far fewer than in the Windows world. Thus...there would probably be a lot fewer customers interested in diagnosic software. Thus even if commercial diagnostic software could be written for Mac's...there most likely wouldn't be enough of a customer base to make this software profitable.

Add to this the fact that Apple is somewhere around 10% of the market (90% Windows). So even if lots of Apple users liked to "tinker/repair" their computers...you still have 9 Windows users for every one Mac User (making the Windows market much more attractive for writing commercial diagnostic software).

Apple doesn't want it easy for anyone else to fix their computers (Apple would lose money). Apple stores are not cheap to maintain. I would imagine that the income from customer repairs has got to be a big plus (on top of the main money maker)...new hardware sales.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Would be nice if there was some kind of aftermarket software (like Hiren's boot cd for Windows) that allows you to boot into a 'safe mode', transfer data off the drive, test, etc without having to disassemble the imac to get the drive out and test it.

Apple is very tight lipped with their diagnostic software and their service manuals. Unless you're in a special position to obtain it (ex genius worker, etc) it's almost impossible to get hold of anything. Also, Hiren's Boot CD is nothing but a bunch of illegal software which folks use for trouble shooting. You won't find anything like that for Apple hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It strikes me as a bit odd for a Mac Repair Tech to be posting and asking such a question, but whatever.

I guess if you want something a bit more GUI with various options than what Apple provides, you could always try Micromat’s TechTool and their Techtool Pro software.
https://www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro

TechTool Pro 7 review: A nearly complete set of Mac troubleshooting tools | Macworld

Oddly enough they developed Apple's original testing application for them and may still be doing so for the latest as far as I know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it is worth I run both TechTool Pro 7 and DiskWarrior each burnt to a bootable USB thumb drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'm a general repair tech, and I've been getting more and more Apple computers coming in recently so I wanted to make the diagnostic phase more efficient.

I got in touch with an acquaintance at the genius bar, and he says what they use is called Apple Service Diagnostic. It's generally available only to in store techs....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I got in touch with an acquaintance at the genius bar, and he says what they use is called Apple Service Diagnostic. It's generally available only to in store techs....

If you're really into repairing Apple products, it may be a good time to put in your application with Apple to become part of the crowd. Great careers with Apple and you'll have access to all that proprietary service information. ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
If you're really into repairing Apple products, it may be a good time to put in your application with Apple to become part of the crowd. Great careers with Apple and you'll have access to all that proprietary service information. ;)

Well I actually own a computer repair store already, not sure I want to go back to the corporate world :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can understand that. Before I retired from the computer repair business, I had an electronic repair business along with my partner while at the same time was working for the government. Thought I could get rich by doing double duty. Didn't work out that way. :p

OP
B
Reaction score
I know the feeling chscag. I started the business on the side while working full time IT. I finally decided to take the plunge and it's definitely paid off. I end up working more hours but the freedom is priceless

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.