Mail 10.5 vs Outlook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I'm trying to switch my wife from a PC to a Mac. However, she seems to be married (besides to me) to Outlook. Is 10.5 Mail as good and functional as Outlook (not Express)?

Also, does 10.5 mail have spam filtering that works? Outlook's junk/spam filtering is a joke.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
I'm trying to switch my wife from a PC to a Mac. However, she seems to be married (besides to me) to Outlook. Is 10.5 Mail as good and functional as Outlook (not Express)?

Also, does 10.5 mail have spam filtering that works? Outlook's junk/spam filtering is a joke.

Thanks.

Use Mail! Junk filter is good and in combination with gmail you can't go wrong.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Use Mail! Junk filter is good and in combination with gmail you can't go wrong.
My wife will never use nor has any reason to use gmail. Sorry, not an option and too much hassle to explain to her to use it an a proxy filter service.

She has her email address, her colleagues/friends/contact have that address and that's the way it's going to stay....
which I can't figure out...I have the same service and have about one spam message a month...go figure.

Reaction score
I use Mail with two POP email addresses and I think its a great application. I've used Outlook in a work environment and Groupwise by Novell and I think mail is better to use half the features in Outlook I never even used.

Mail is clean and simple to use, I have added a couple of little extras to improve it though, both free downloads.

Iconizer, makes attachments display as icons rather than display their contents which is annoying.

mail appetizer, which adds transparent window notifications when a mail arrives.

As someone else said mails Junk Filter is great, to me its the best I've used. Once its spent a few weeks analazing your mail it knows exactly whats junk and what's not.

If using Outlook is the only thing stopping her moving to mac get that installed on Parrells even that would be better than using a pc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
If using Outlook is the only thing stopping her moving to mac get that installed on Parrells even that would be better than using a pc.
I do have VMWare already and probably will be installing it on her computer. The bigger reason for delaying in getting a Mac is the upfront cost. Especially with Dell boxes being so cheap in comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
My wife is the same way. I have Office 2008 so set her up with Entourage. She is now a happy camper! :D

Reaction score
Just a aside on mail,
Does anybody rely on the Apple combination of:
Address book
Mail
Ical?

I like Mail but I have had continuous problems with iCal. Loaded 10.5.5 yesterday and iCal simply doesn't function. The upgrade also deleted my calendars. Then iCal would only quit with "force quit".

Apples combination of these programs makes Outlook look very appealing.
Please fix it Apple - I so want to stay with my Mac but...........

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.