Big Leopard problems! Please Help!!!

Reaction score
OK, my friend bought a new imac from the apple store. It came with Tiger on the computer and a leopard upgrade cd in the box.

Next he has problems upgrading and I go up to his house to help. At one point it said that there was something wrong with the dvd. Then it gave an error about OS 10.4 must be installed on the computer and it is not found.

I took the DVD home and made a copy with toast and did the slow one for damaged disks. Then I thought I would test it on mine. I thought Leopard had a feature to uninstall and revert to Tiger. I didn't know it did not. But I didn't get either error about a disk defect or not being able to see OS 10.4. I thought this would solve his problem because my burned disk did complete an upgrade. It did not. Gave the same error about not seeing Tiger.

I told this to a sales person at the apple store asking how I should proseed. He said that running 2 installs of logic at the same time would prompt emails from apple asking you to uninstall one. I asked him if it this going to happen if we both get online at the same time. He wasn't sure about an upgraded OS upgraded from the same disk. And didn't know what to do.

I have two major worries at this point.

1. What do I do about getting Leopard on his computer? Why isn't it seeing Tiger and what do I do about it?

2. I don't want to keep something I didn't pay for. Can I just automaticly buy a liscense online to make us both be legit? I didn't know I couldn't just roll back to Leopard. After the holidays I guess I'll have to backup and reinstall Tiger. Any suggestions on how to do that? Or should I buy a Leopard disk from the apple store. Will it really cause issues if we both have the same Leopard install at the same time?

I feel like I really messed up.

Reaction score
Make sure he didn't erase the hard drive before trying to upgrade to Leopard? Also maybe making sure Tiger is updated might help.
As for the license i think that unlike Microsoft there isn't the same validation, so in in theory you could install it on multiple computers, however this is legally and morally wrong etc.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, Tiger does boot on the friends mac. It is installed and works well. Anyone seen any postings on that error? Or articles?

And that is a bit of a relief that I'm not going to mess him up and I would like buy what is running on my computer if I can! I don't want to steal it. If I could automaticly downgrade or buy another liscenes I would be happy to. But I don't have an external drive to backup to right now.

Reaction score
Has he installed any updates to Tiger that's my only thought.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, there will be a problem because he doesn't have internet access. He just got it for editing videos and photos.

OP
S
Reaction score
I called tech support and they said there is an issue with the some of the "drop in" disks and are sending another one that shouldn't give the 10.4 not found error.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Good to hear you found a solution :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.