Boot Camp?

Reaction score
Can you install windows XP if your cd does not have sp2 on it (old version)? Also can you install windows on an external hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
supposedly you can't install SP1 with boot camp. Technically, you don't even need boot camp to install windows. All you have to do is create a partition and then install Windows on it, so you should be able to install an old version of Windows and then upgrade to SP2 (if MS still has that download available). Assuming you have Leopard, you'll just need to use the Leopard disk to install the drivers. Without using boot camp to install, you'll have to get a program that will allow you to boot into Windows. I don't know the name offhand, but if you do some searching, you'll find a thread with the info.

That should work, in theory, but I've never tried it personally. All you can do is try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
i think reEfit will let you boot from a windows disk with out bootcamp, but not sure because XP cant read EMI bios's which all current Mac's use and it is basically what bootcamps lets you do (beside help you partition it)

Will have to try once i try to fo my triple boot of leopard / ubuntu and windows.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you install windows XP if your cd does not have sp2 on it (old version)? Also can you install windows on an external hard drive?

You can Slipstream SP2. Do a search in google for Slipstream SP2. You make a new CD and it will have SP2 on it. Did it for a friend and it worked great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.